Man vs. escalator

You can go your own way
Go your own way
Tell me why
Everything turned around?

61 Responses to “Man vs. escalator”

1. If applied universally this could actually be very good for aerobic fitness and general health.

2. Francis Delaney says:

It’s kind of nice that the community first appreciates that the situation is funny, but then actually tries to help. Kudos to red haired girl who kinda kicks that sentiment into gear.

3. Assault_is_eternal says:

He probably thought that he was stuck in a hanna-barbera cartoon where the background never changes

4. musesum says:

An inverted Sisyphus adherent?

5. rob_cornelius says:

Good to see that the business world still believes in the liquid lunch. At least three or four bottles in this guys case.

6. TWX says:

I don’t think that if I added up all of the times I’ve been drunk into one cumulative drunken bender that I was ever that drunk…

• DisGuest says:

I’m having a difficult time believing that he was actually drunk. I would have expected at least a stumble.

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I’m not sure I could go the wrong way on an escalator like that sober without at least stumbling a little.

• DisGuest says:

I know. If I were drunk, I’d definitely be on my ass. I don’t know how he wasn’t, especially with people pulling him backward.

• Chentzilla says:

Staged? Viral?

• blueelm says:

Hate to admit it, but unless I’m ill with something else I could easily do this drunk. I’m not bragging, especially about being a drunk, but I just am good on my feet.

There have been plenty of times I’ve had the spins so badly I know I should be down for the count.. and yet the stairs affect me not.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I have an essential tremor. My fine motor control gets better after a couple of cocktails.

• dragonfrog says:

Perhaps this fellow has more practice at drunkenness than you or I.

• Kimmo says:

Out of all the drugs I’ve tried, I can’t think of one you could dose me up on that would confuse me this much before I could no longer stand.

7. Brainspore says:

There’s a metaphor for life in there somewhere.

8. Glen Able says:

Funny, no matter how blind drunk you are, there is some ancient part of the brain that will get you home (even if you do arrive there inexplicably covered in twigs or vomit or somesuch).  This video is a wonderful example of the limitations of that part of the brain and will probably be of great importance to the neuroscience community.

9. Matt Fisher says:

This is sisyphean, this is.

10. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I suspect there was something other than liquor at work here.

11. Jan Henning Berg says:

To be fair, I’m not acting that much different when running on a treadmill.

12. foobar says:

Thanks you to all those lovely people that helped him out. There’s a reason everything’s classier with a British accent.

13. Bauart says:

I remember MY first beer.

14. thedreadpiratewesley says:

OMG FINALLY someone thinks to press the massive big red stop button!

• Eric Rucker says:

Actually, I’d go for a bigger problem with the stop button than, “he’s going to go flying”.

That is, he’s clearly a danger to himself, and possibly others, and what happens if he does make it up the escalator (which, pushing the stop button would allow him to do), and continues to wherever he’s going?

Physically grabbing him and taking him off the escalator (or calling the police and having them do it) was the right thing to do IMO.

15. Flashman says:

“No he’s NOT making progress! Don’t encourage him.”

16. chgoliz says:

At least it’s not the Angel station.  (World’s longest escalator….subways, or anywhere, not sure which.)

• echolocate chocolate says:

Not even the longest in Europe any more… I think there’s one in Sweden that’s longer. And Moscow has super insanely deep subways that might have the actual longest now.

• Itsumishi says:

Neither, at least not any more. Wikipedia claims its the third longest in Europe, behind Helsinki and Stockholm, both of which are found in subways.

17. This can’t be America – the dude never got tazed!

18. nixiebunny says:

Way better with the Fleetwood Mac song playing in a another window.

19. skeptacally says:

he’s just walking it off.

20. bolamig says:

In a blackout.  Not laying down any memories of what has been happening, just keeping moving forward towards the goal like a zombie.

Like when I was in an unfamiliar town trying to walk back to my hotel and instead woke up on a rock in the middle of a state park.  I later reconstructed that I just kept walking past the hotel on the same street the whole time, and when the street ended at a “city overlook” trailhead I continued walking on the hiking trail.  When the trail ended I hopped a fence and continued towards the city in the distance.  Always heading for my Hotel California.

21. He looks like a Japanese businessman, or salaryman. In that case, just normal behaviour after a nomikai

22. disky00 says:

He could just be fucking with people. Don’t tell me none of you have ever done this.

23. Brad Bell says:

I think this was created so a bank could advertise at me about how non-sociopathic it is. I feel sad: that was my first embedded ad. I don’t watch ads on internet videos. Life is too short. Videos aren’t that good. And it’s just so unfathomably stupid. Interruptive advertising and digital media go together like horse shit and teleportation. Please don’t feed the broadcasters.

24. IndexMe says:

As self-punishment goes this is relatively benign. But it hurts to think of the whirlpool of loathing he was walking through.