A fond look at the gruesome zombie comic books of yore

11 Responses to “A fond look at the gruesome zombie comic books of yore”

1. dr.hypercube says:

Is that last cover Wolverton?

2. Chris S says:

Just so we’re clear on the risk here — these women should never have worn RED! There’s blondes, brunettes, and redheads, but clearly the zombies go for the dames in crimson!

3. Matt Ruhstaller says:

Anyone know where you can buy framed prints of this stuff?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

There’s a guy who has a booth at Modernism Week in Palm Springs most years who sells original art work for pulp paperbacks as well as concept drawings for flying cars and that sort of thing. I’m not sure if he has a physical address or an online presence.

4. Layne says:

Love this old horror comics art… Such an awesome niche of comics that manages to worm it’s way into lots of other media.

If I don’t get this for Xmas, it’s getting ordered the next day.

5. Sean Burns says:

LOVE that Diary of Horror cover. That blonde woman intrigues me- is she drugged? Is skull face guy holding her up? Is she a captive, or there by choice? Her eyes really get me- dazed resignation? I wanna read that story, though I know it CAN’T be as good as that cover.

6. Sean Burns says:

Weird Tales of the Future 3- one of the best covers ever. Fantagraphics will release a book by Greg Sadowski (Four Color Fear) gathering all Wolverton’s “serious” horror and SF stories- “Brain bats of Venus”, etc., sometime next year. It’s about time for Basil to shine, too. He was so much more than just the funny stuff.

7. Hannah T says:

I love that they had to make the title extra clear in the first one. “The bell tolls…DEATH!!”

8. kiptw says:

Wolverton’s been pointed out. What about that Ogden Whitney cover right after the Frazetta? Whitney was my earliest art crush for his beautiful, deadpan work on HERBIE. The Lee Elias cover’s pretty cool too, though I can’t associate the name with anything but more horror comics in 60s DC, and maybe 70s.

(DIARY OF HORROR: “When TRICK-OR-TREATING becomes MANDATORY!!!”)

ed: I just saw the name on the stone on that “Beware the Clutching Hand” cover — cover artist and EC ace Roy G. Krenkel! I never would have recognized him from the drawing, which had me thinking more of Feldstein or Jaffee.

9. i just noticed all the women got the red clothing on. From a safety point of view, red is strongly contraindicated. — GeePawHill