Are these the remains of ancient worm holes?

32 Responses to “Are these the remains of ancient worm holes?”

1. autark says:

no no no, ancient wormholes are hidden underneath the pyramids where the ancient aliens put them. it was on the history channel, so I know it’s true.

2. Glippiglop says:

Perhaps fossilised bamboo or some similar plant?  Just throwing it out there because the tubes look about the right thickness and it always grows in clusters.

3. Kernit the Font says:

Damn, I was really hoping this article was about the discovery of some kind of ancient stargate.

• Peter says:

Agreed.    Now I’m so disappointed.

And to double the disappointment, when I realized it was actual worms, for a brief, impossible moment, I was hoping it was the Sandworms of Arrakis.

• CH says:

Yeah, I was looking at the picture, wondering how on earth they would know the rock had been hit by a worm hole. And how cool it would be if it was true!!!! … and then I realized it wasn’t that kind of worm hole.

Still cool, but…

• SoItBegins says:

Darnit, you beat me to it.

4. Boundegar says:

Wormsign!  Set your maker hooks!

5. I am not a geologist! But the fact that they’re vertical suggests to me something like a persistent water boring down through the matrix rock, then re-sedimenting later to form columns of slightly harder material, now exposed.

6. Chris Jauer says:

Note: scientific pix ALWAYS need a scale reference, like a rock hammer or for us lucky Canuks the eponymous Loonie coin. That said, the orientation and guesstimated size make me think fossilised tree trunk casts, similar to those seen in situ at Joggins, Nova Scotia ( recent UNESCO site, fossilised Carboniferous age forest ). The original buried tree trunks are long gone, but the space was filled in by later sediments which lithified in place. Well spotted.

7. David Gibson says:

the segments make me think that they are the stalks of a Crinozoa of some sort.i have several i picked up out of the sandstone in the Mississippi valley that look somewhat like that but smaller,baseball bat size.

8. Lyle Hopwood says:

Obviously a fossilized balustrade.  You can just make out the stair treads and a landing.  I wonder what’s at the bottom of the staircase?

9. recoiled says:

I’m guessing burrows are the best answer, as skolithos are a blanket term for worm and shrimp burrows. They may be more recognizable because of water erosion accenting the fossil burrows. Do you know what geologic time the rocks are a part of? The red sand may be because of iron staining due to water reacting with the elements in the sandstone, or the sandstone could be k-spar rich, or a million other explanations. In the end, whoever asked for some kind of scale is the most correct answer. You truly know you are a geologist when you have more photos of your hammer than of your loved ones. I’m so happy I could share this useless post.

10. Mister44 says:

I personally have a ton of worm burrow casts from Missouri near Lees Summit. There is this one cut into the side of the road that just has a ton of these cylindrical casts.

11. emo hex says:

Do these “worms” frighten you?

12. Jun-Kai Teoh says:

You had me thinking “Stargate SG-1″ when you said worm holes.

13. “out hiking in rural Oklahoma.”  Never thought I’d read that on boingboing.

14. gwailo_joe says:

Graboids…obviously.

15. podrock says:

The result of a “sand blow”? During an earthquake, wet sand can explode upwards, spewing sand around. Perhaps these are the below surface expression, the sand feeder dike?

From the USGS: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-131-02/fs-131-02-p3.html

(yes, I am a geologist.)

16. BarBarSeven says:

Have you found the “Spice” stash yet? Therein lies the answer.

17. patito real says:

What’s rural OK for you? Would be helpful in narrowing the search.

18. Culturedropout says:

“Plumbing of the Gods!”

19. ciran says:

I don’t know anything about Oklahoma’s fossils or geology but there’s an impression on the left of the rock that gets larger as it goes down. Sort of looks like a rock-boring clam hole

20. Halloween_Jack says:

The Temple of the Prophets will not be rediscovered until the Emissary appears.

21. Rob Butler says:

I’m thinking those are fossilized Pine trees (or any other type of tree that grows tall and straight with few branches except at the top).