Tom Waits on the Simpsons, January 6th

27 Responses to “Tom Waits on the Simpsons, January 6th”

1. Nash Rambler says:

“The Simpson’s” longevity surprises me as much as Waits’.  I figured he would’ve died in a small plane crash by now. . .

2. Ryan Hannay says:

Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart are two artists I can live without. #shittyvoices

• GawainLavers says:

I think Tom Waits has a great voice, but the whole “dirge for the funeral of an unemployed Parisian clown played by drunks with alzheimers” schtick of all of his songs is a shame.

• chris jimson says:

I’ll see you after school by the bike racks, punk, ’cause them is fightin words.

• Dean Rohs says:

Your taste in music is obviously fueled by the media hype that a good singer must also have a quality voice. Sad. Too bad you can’t appreciate the amazing songwriter and storyteller that Tom Waits is. Try listening to the words instead of just hearing the voice.

• Nash Rambler says:

“good singer must also have a quality voice. . ” Holy cow, can’t believe those words dropped onto a page.  There’s no “good” or “bad” singers, there’s just people who can sing, and people who cannot.  If you can’t fly a plane, you’re not a pilot.  If you can’t dance, you’re not a dancer.  If you can’t sing, you’re not a singer.  I don’t think I fall into the media hype because Britney Spears can sing but doesn’t do a thing for me.

So I like Tom Waits.  I like Bob Dylan.  I like Neil Young.  I like Patti Smith.  But don’t try and tell me they’re just singers who don’t sing well.  They are great songwriters and artists who, quite frankly, sound terrible but overcome through the quality of their songwriting and passion.  They are not good singers.

•  Good, I’ll have your share. #brilliantArtists

• RoyL says:

I’m with ya Ryan, Waits voice is very abrasive and crass.

3. GawainLavers says:

I presume, from the picture, that he’s not playing himself?

Homer joins the “Springfield Preppers,” an off-the-grid survivalist group whose leader (guest voice Waits) has set up a top-secret retreat outside of town to prepare for the end of the world. But Marge grows skeptical of the group’s alarmist shenanigans.

Whoa. Timely.

4. bluest_one says:

If that’s supposed to be Tom in the picture, I have only one thing to say…

Worst. Caricature. Ever.

5. Chentzilla says:

Note how the author doesn’t call The Simpsons “one of his favorite shows of all time”.

6. mindysan33 says:

Squee!  Someone remember my birthday this year!

7. echolocate chocolate says:

Woah, they’re still making The Simpsons?

8. Monty Jones says:

I’m proud to say I have never watched one episode of the Simpsons. Since Tom isn’t playing himself, I don’t have to start now.

• showme says:

Man, you just ooze coolness. I wish I was as cool as you. I bet you don’t even own a TV set and tell everyone at parties that. Oh, wait, you’re probably too cool to go to parties too. Do you wear turtleneck sweaters?

• Todd Fagan says:

Why would ignorance of something be something to be proud of? If you had watched it and decided you didn’t like it, fine, I would understand…

But I suppose this way you have something to cling on to as the precious individual you are.

9. birdmanicx says:

The people who leave comments here are so effing NASTY to each other, like it’s the Shit’s Club or something.

10. The Preppers are bunch of dumb dodo dorks who don’t deserve to survive ! No civilization need such grotesque people ! You don’t know who is worst , those quantum criminals who got tickets to Ozarks or these fat field freaks known as The Preppers .So the fact that a great bohemian boy like Tom will play the leader of these dorks sounds very wrong to me.