28 Responses to “A fun thing to do at CES: wrap orange goo around your finger and whack it with a mallet”

1. xzzy says:

Think they have that backwards, I would assume you want the material to go soft in an impact to absorb the shock. It’s the sharp blow that shatters screens, not soft ones.
    That said, getting a handful of the stuff as a desk toy would be pretty awesome.

• Glen Able says:

You’re right that a sharp blow would be transmitted through a hard cover.  But a soft cover is obviously no good unless it’s very thick – the blow isn’t transmitted, but the mallet doesn’t get stopped.

I think the trick is that the material hardens locally around the impact site and diffuses the energy into the surrounding soft parts.

2. millie fink says:

Seems like a good idea. I wonder what it’s made of. Is it another petroleum by-product?

3. rob_cornelius says:

isnt this just silly putty?

• Bozobub says:

To the nth degree, perhaps.

• Gary Quick says:

I have a pound of orange silly putty that looks pretty much the same.
      Silly putty will shatter if you hit it hard enough with a hammer.
      One way to look at it is that in a very short time-span it behaves like a solid. A very quick hammer strike.  Over longer time-span it behaves more like a liquid.  Where it oozes and you can easily stretch it slowly.

4. DreadJester says:

Looks like a starch and water mixture reaction.  Perhaps it’s got a third ingrediant in it?

5. Mark N. says:

Neat. A non-nutonian phone case!

6. rrh says:

I like the little touch that they give them both the same colour to imply they’re essentially the same, yet one’s a solid and one’s a liquid (Or non-Newtonian fluid) so they’ll have completely different properties.

• bcsizemo says:

Agreed.  Besides that phone case is how thick exactly?  Even turning into a more “solid” solid there isn’t very much material to absorb an impact.  I certainly think it be a fine and dandy phone protector, but I doubt it be much better than other things on the market.

• TheOven says:

I had a look at their other products and they make motorcycle gear, knee-pads for construction workers etc. There’s a huge market for something like this. Very interesting. Soon, this will be bullet proof. I wonder how much it weighs.

• ocker3 says:

Perhaps it’s a way of demonstrating the underlying properties of the material without a long, complicated (and trade-secret revealing) explanation of the actual product?

7. Stefan Jones says:

I’ve been hawking up goo all morning. Not sure if I’d want to hit it with a hammer.

8. Katja says:

Repulsion Gel!

9. Hawkins Dale says:

Hogwash!  If you look closely, that’s not his real finger that he’s wailin’ on.

10. DreadJester says:

I’d like to see him wrap his finger in the thiner material that he says is actually in the phone case and hit it with the same hammer……..

11. Joel Burton says:

http://www.d3o.com/ is the link to the company that makes the ‘goo’ you are seeing in this video

12. Jim Davison says:

So, is the legitimate? Or is the business plan is something like, “Find non-newtonian putty, make it orange. Take generic phone protectors, add trace amounts of putty, make them orange. Make infomercial style claims about their similar properties, and sell a bunch before people look too closely”

13. Ken Williams says:

I totally *smashed* the competition a few years ago in a neighborhood egg-drop contest by suspending the egg in a baggie in the middle of some oobleck (corn starch & water).  It escaped perfectly unscathed.

Unfortunately about half of peoples’ eggs survived intact too, they weren’t dropped from very high, and parachutes etc. were allowed.  So about half of us smashed the competition in a dozen-way tie for first place.  But I was pretty sure mine was the awesomest.  As did everyone else, probably.

14. This case won’t protect the phone from the sudden deceleration that it is still subject to. I imagine that this could cause internal damage too