Eric Standley’s intricate laser-cut "stained glass" paper windows

18 Responses to “Eric Standley’s intricate laser-cut "stained glass" paper windows”

1. Box of Cotton Swabs says:

1,024 x 1,015 2.5M PNG on this article, 2,412 x 1,608 2.3M JPEG on the crab article… I know bandwidth’s not as constrained as it once was, but doesn’t anyone optimize for the web any more?

2. Boundegar says:

This is so beautiful but it is not like stained glass in any way.

• David Murphy says:

It looks very much like stained glass. Does that count as being like it in some way?

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

It reminds me more of the intricate lacy designs and calligraphy I’ve seen in Islamic art.

• aperturehead says:

I guess “WINDOW + DESIGN” equals stained glass window in most minds – “intricate and beautifully constructed” does not always mean good looking. These designs lack certain imperfections that would otherwise make them human and warm. I get a distinctly sterile feeling from these squiggles. “Laser cut” must be code for fussy.

3. Donald Petersen says:

This is gorgeous work.  I’d be terrified of holding one of these in my hands, afraid that I’d feel that old irresistible urge to poke my thumb right through the lace.  Five-year-old Donald destroyed a few beautiful Xmas ornaments that way.

4. gjbloom says:

Very reminiscent of the sound hole rose in old stringed instruments.  Except that the sound hole decorations are cut by hand.  See: http://www.vihuelademano.com/rosesinvihuelas.htm

5. CH says:

That is… absolutely amazing!!!!

6. timquinn says:

OK I can see the hostility. The first thought I had was,”I fucking quit!” Those are too good, I can’t even exist in the same universe. Then I looked again and decided I could go on. Next thought was how could I adapt his technique to my work.

Thanks, Mark, this is a good one.

7. Ray Perkins says:

Why does the laser not char the edges of the paper? Is it done in an inert environment?

• jackbird says:

The laser is purpose-designed to cut paper.  it uses short pulses to punch lots of tiny holes.  It’s the same technology that perforates the pages of spiral-bound notebooks and junk-mail postpaid cards so they tear off with a clean edge.

8. esquire says:

1. This is way cool.

2. Some of the other designs on this page are more stained glassy: http://hifructose.com/2013/01/14/eric-standleys-intricate-laser-cut-stained-glass-paper-windows/

3. I wonder if there would be a way to make them less fragile so they could actually be used as windows? (mount the whole thing within a lucite block?)

9. ChickieD says:

I’m in love. It’s beautiful. Not sure where to put this in my house but trying to figure out a spot. LOVE!!!!

10. chgoliz says:

I think the right term is: exquisite.