Elfquest: No guarantee of serenity

Enjoy the latest page of Elfquest. First time reader? Catch up at the comic's official homepage.

The latest page of The Final Quest: Prologue is published online first for the first time here at Boing Boing. First time reader? You're a few issues behind.

Published 7:00 am Mon, Jan 14, 2013

About the Author

Conceived in the heat of creativity early 1977. Born in the throes of Ypsilantean adversity on February 28, 1978. Entering that long golden afternoon even now.

More at Boing Boing

Smoke, Slingshots, and Spongebob: the Middle East crisis in photos

Startling shots from Gaza, Israel, and elsewhere depict despair and outrage at a seemingly-intractable crisis.

The Next War: a comic for the centenary of World War One

In honor of the centenary of World War One, we are proud to present Simon Ganes's illustrated adaptation of Osbert Sitwell's haunting, classic poem The Next War. It appears, with many other beautiful and thoughtful adaptations, in the new book Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics.

27 Responses to “Elfquest: No guarantee of serenity”

1. Tavie says:

I have a question about the… the… “codpiece” section….

2. I think I just fell in love with Reef. <3 _ <3

3. David Miz says:

Gorgeous!!!  I just re-read The Discovery last night and I have to comment on how much more delicate the line-work and coloring of The Final Quest has been than that story.  Not that The Discovery didn’t have beautiful art, but FQ just seems a lot more refined and subtle.

• Wyldenay says:

Agreed. I think all the work Wendy did on Masque helped her refine her tablet technique. Discovery is done digitally as well but predates Masque by a couple years or so, I think. Her lines in FQ remind me of the lines from the end of JtSE and The Forbidden Grove, before her inks got heavier in the last two graphic novels. I love how her style evolves with each story.

4. Tavie says:

Sunfish-Sunstream looks like a BITCH to draw/color. Impressive as hell, an eye-feast.

5. Erika Westberg says:

Most of the mer-elves still look sorta “elfish”, with hair, maybe some odd colours or fins but still built similarly. Why does Sunstream choose such an outrageously odd shape? Just because he can? I have to say I’m not too fond of it, but eh – I’ve seen him often enough as his “regular” self.

• cjporkchop says:

I don’t like the Vegas-showgirl/West-Hollywood Halloween Sunstream, either.

• Melody says:

It does seem unnecessary. It looks a lot like Surge……

• David Miz says:

I think the look is symbolic of the elves’ return to the ways and abilities of the Firstcomers, who could choose whatever form they wished, no matter how gaudy or outrageous.  Sunstream might not be able to change his own form at will, but with the power of the Palace and three healers, he can push his WaveDancer look to the limit.

• I agree. I guess it’s just his taste. Sunstream likes to do things a bit different than most. Why choose an ordinary shape when you have 3 healers ‘at your command’?

I’m not fond of his looks either, but I think it makes sense that he chose a different shape than the regular wavedancers

• Leetah explained it, “It’s how Brill sees you.” Remember back in the original quest when Tyldak and Dewshine Recognized? There was one shot that showed “So she sees him, he sees her.” Recognition shows the inner soul/heart. When Brill looks at him, this is what she sees. The healers have just manifested her inner vision for the rest of us.

• Erika Westberg says:

Eh, I guess you’re right. Maybe his inner fish is part of why they were attracted to each other to begin with. ;-P Still bugs me slightly though – not that the colours aren’t pretty, but I like the shape of for example Snakeskin or mohawk-guy better. However, I really love the design of the Wavedancers’ ears. Gorgeous.

6. Pongo Lyn says:

Reef looks like he’s got a bit of Linsner’s “Dawn” in him…hair always falling over the same eye…

7. I’m not crazy about Sunstreams design either. The codpiece is distracting. Why not leave him naked or remove his genitalia? But his mother Leetah and Reef both look amazing.

•  Maybe that IS Wavedancer genitalia! I do wonder why that is how Brill “sees you.” Very odd. Maybe since he doesn’t have a wolf form, when you recognize Suntop you see that?

• David Miz says:

I think codpiece is probably the best way to think of it.  Seems to me to be an ornamental, protective flap of skin to contain his “bits.”  It alleviates the need for protective clothing and also is a way to create a cool-looking character design that really wouldn’t have the same effect with clothing.  (Being realistic, it’s not like Wendy is going to show Sunstream fully naked –it’s a PG/PG-13 comic after all.)

8. Makes me think of how Tyldak saw Dewshine after they recognized each other…

9. David Miz says:

Thought folks would be interested in the original art that Wendy did that ended up becoming Sunstream’s WaveDancer incarnation.  Several years back, Wendy did a series of fantasy art prints for a company called Land of Myth and Not.  Check out the designs, and pay particular attention to the one entitled “Little Sea Prince.”  http://www.elfquest.com/news/LoM.html

10. I, for one, love Sunstream’s lion-fish look. It radiates the beauty of his soul and the love he shares with Brill. Bravo, Wendy, Bravo. :)

11. Krondor2000 says:

Well Wendy did show Newstar nearly naked even though she wore that very sheer wrap/dress.  Besides elves are not at all shy at being nude the way we humans are sans clothing.