Brad Bird's new movie is called "Tomorrowland"

17 Responses to “Brad Bird's new movie is called "Tomorrowland"”

1. Brainspore says:

I don’t like where this is going.

√ Pirates of the Caribbean movie (x5)
    √ Haunted Mansion
    √ Country Bears Jamboree
    √ New Haunted Mansion movie created in the hopes that nobody remembered that first awful Haunted Mansion movie
    √ Tomorrowland
    _ It’s a Small World
    _ Indiana Jones: the Ride: The Movie

2. Kelly M says:

I know!  Next it’ll be Dumbo and Wind in the Willows! ;)

This one has promise, especially if they do a whole retro-future kind of vibe.

Hmm… Cory posting the movie stuff … What happened to… hey wait a minute!

3. ObeyMyBrain says:

From the linked article,

“Reportedly the plot centers around Clooney’s character after he encounters alien life on earth.”

From Damon Lindelof’s twitter,

“We won’t tell you what it’s about (yet), but we will tell you what it’s NOT about. And that would be ALIENS.”

4. Peter says:

This is not what it will be about, I am almost certain.   But I think it could make an awesome movie with that title (or maybe a TV series)

It’s 1952… the US is in the middle of the Korean War.  Integration has not yet begun in schools.  Computers still filled a room.  Rock and Roll is still ‘new’.  Television is watched on black and white screens.  And the 21st century is so far away that most people don’t even bother to think about it..

Until one day time is punctured, and 2013 (or 2014 or whenever the movie’s out) Pasadena (or other city of choice) replaces its 1952 counterpart.  Suddenly there’s a city full of people from the future, carrying iPads and driving electric cars who are shocked at the rest of the world regressing 60 years in an instant.  And who’ll have to figure out a way to live side-by-side with their own past when it doesn’t look like there’s a way back.  They have become Tomorrowland, and the rest of the century is up for grabs…

(Yeah, I know books have often explored similar general premises, with slightly different setups or year gaps, but I think this could be cool too)

5. jackrabbitslim says:

Surely it should be Gernsbackianally.
    Additionally, no matter how you spell it, that’s clearly among the best sorts of retrofuturism.

6. Release date of December 19, 2014?  That means he’s taking the time to do it well and they are betting it will be Oscar material.

7. Jacob Henner says:

I love how the author of that press release feels the need to identify George Clooney as being from “The Descendants”.  Ohhhh!  THAT George Clooney!

8. xkot says:

You had me at “Brad Bird.” You lost me at “Damon Lindelof.”