Grand Canyon, the Google Street View version

13 Responses to “Grand Canyon, the Google Street View version”

1. Bill McGonigle says:

Very nice!  When we went as a young couple we didn’t win the camping lottery, and my wife wasn’t up to the challenge of doing the descent and ascent in one day, so I missed out.  So this is even for people who go but couldn’t get down into the canyon.

Also, I’m a hiker, but hiking with that kind of gear on looks quite challenging.  I played around on the rim when I went, but probably wouldn’t with that kind of lever on my back!  Thanks, Ryan, Steve, and crew!

• David James says:

Agreed on hiking with that kind of gear. On the last two Canyon backpacks I went on, my starting pack weight was around 40lbs including water for that day (one was a 7 day trip, the other an 8, IIRC), and that was much tighter to my body. Anything that’s not right next to your back can really throw off your balance, and while the trails that Google has mapped are corridor trails that are mostly highway-like, balance is still relevant.

That said, it looks like they kept the batteries and heavy portions of that setup low and close, so it might not have been too bad overall.

2. glatt1 says:

This is truly a wonderful thing. I’ve hiked the canyon twice and it’s great to zoom down into my favorite spots.  Of course, it leaves me wanting more.  Why didn’t they do the North Kaibob trail?  I’d love to explore Ribbon Falls again.

• David James says:

Did you happen to take the time to head up to check out Upper Ribbon or Upper Upper Ribbon Falls? We tried to make it up to Upper Upper on our last trip, but vegetation finally got the better of us… Absolutely gorgeous country, and there’s not really much of anything like it. (Two canyon backpacks myself, and my wife and I are planning for the next one already, with the hope of working our way up to the Royal Arch route in a year or two!)

3. David James says:

I’m torn on this- on the one hand, it means that I can poke around some of the corridor trails online, which is awesome. On the other hand, I refuse to even carry a GPS on backpacking trips in the canyon and elsewhere, so this just feels wrong somehow. If it’s battery-powered and isn’t a headlamp or the like, I’ll pass- give me some paper USGS quads and a decent magnetic compass any day.

That said, I do recognize that I have a technology problem. :P

• Jonathan Badger says:

So you make an exception for evil technological headlamps? Why? Unless it is a flaming torch built from the bones and hide of a coyote you killed with your teeth, you aren’t getting the true spirit of the outdoors.

4. Richard says:

Given the speed of hiking those trails, it is hard to forget the actual experience of being in the canyon.

The Google works can’t easily replicate that. Nor the state I was in after hiking in and out in the same day. While I was truly intrigued by those rim to rim runners who passed me, I thought that they were quite missing the point of being there.

5. t3kna2007 says:

This makes me really dissatisfied with my current physical location. The almost-smirk on Ryan Falor’s face must be for actually getting paid to do this.

6. simonbarsinister says: