38 Responses to “Gentleman in LA police chase ends standoff by huffing nitrous”

1. “Helium”. LOL.

Once upon a time, at a festival that I was working as security liason, a police officer searched a camp and found a bunch of nitrous cannisters. “Carbon dioxide,” he said. “People huff it to get high.” I nodded sagely and did not correct him.

• avgjoe says:

he also called it nitrogen at one point. ya him saying helium made me laugh several times as i thought about him being taken down with a high pitched voice.

2. semiotix says:

“Pᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴀɴᴅs ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ I ᴄᴀɴ sᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴇᴘ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀ!”
    “You’ll never take me alive, copper!”
    “Tʜɪs ɪs ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ. Wᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴜsᴇ ғᴏʀᴄᴇ ɪғ ɴᴇᴄᴇssᴀʀʏ.”
    “That’s what you think, pig!”
    *****huffffffffffff*****
    “Ha ha! Your move, dancing purple fairy! How are you going to shoot me when your hands are made of Jell-O?”
    “Fʟᴇʀɢʟᴇ ʙʟᴇʀɢʟᴇ ᴍᴇʜ! Zᴏᴏᴘɪʟʏ ᴅᴏᴏᴘɪʟʏ ғʟᴏᴏ!”

3. feetleet says:

Is this guy… savvy? Don’t know what he was originally pulled over for – but if it was for ‘inhaling a big balloon while driving,’ he might be onto something. It’s a misdemeanor in CA to POSSESS nitrous oxide for recreational purposes. Nitrous oxide stays in your system for a very short time, and they might have a hard time proving that’s what he was inhaling if he was able to dissipate/inhale all of the nitrous in his tank before arrest. So he thinks: well if the evidence is destroyed either way…..might as well Demi this bitch.

• Wayne Dyer says:

It would be difficult to prove, but unless he’s got only balloons, there will be something left in the tank.  I still can’t imagine driving on nitrous.  Way too dissociative/floaty.

4. Small molecules are the best.

5. voiceinthedistance says:

If it makes a root canal more tolerable, I would expect it would improve an arrest, as well.

Unfortunately, nitrous isn’t known as a high with “legs”, and they probably failed to bring along any Novocaine to help mitigate the severity of the post nitrous bummer.

6. Silly silly world. Give me another.

7. PhosPhorious says:

There’s never a wrong time to get mellow.

8. David Pescovitz says:

Whippit good.

9. ImmutableMichael says:

Nang nang nang nang……

10. I can’t figure that the news guys didn’t know it was nitrous. Were they just not saying “nitrous oxide” so people wouldn’t know it will get you high?

Was anybody thinking of Nena Hagen’s “99 Luftballons” while you watched this? Someone needs to do a mashup .

11. Gulliver says:

LAPD, always focused on the big time criminals.

“He’s got NO2 N2O, boys. We’re gonna need a lot of backup on this one!”

Edit: Ah, for want of a proton…what’s a couple of moles between friends? :D

12. toobigtofail says:

The only thing that’ll stop a bad guy with nitrous is a good guy with nitrous.

13. Petzl says:

“The officer is trying to verbalize with him…”

Really? Is this what English has come to?

14. Gary Ansorge says:

They didn’t mention the guys name, so I’ll just add this shout out: “Idjit mutant. You’re not supposed to show off that ability until the asteroid gets here…” So sorry to distract Y’All. I have to get back to my ship. This Earth atmosphere is so,,,thin…

15. timquinn says:

Toward the end you can tell someone hands one of the talking heads a note with the words “nitrous oxide.” Suddenly the guy knows what it is and says it with great authority. They honestly don’t have a clue. Of course, these guys spent their youth figuring out how to get into local news in Los Angeles, an extremely competitive field, instead of, you know, huffing helium, or nitrogen . . .

16. Snig says:

If he was truly a gentleman, he would have offered to share.

17. Ipo says:

Acetylene balloons give you more bang for the buck.

18. Scott Marr says:

Wow that was one of THE most dangerous situations I have watched unfold, so glad those cops took that dirty nitrous huffing animal down!!

19. cstatman says:

amazed the newscaster could babble in total cop-speak for that long.   the biggest abuse here was of the English language.

20. Barry Wilson says:

I think Beck wrote a song about this, a long time ago…

21. rick stanley says:

My favorite was the guy on ‘wildest police chase’ that was shooting up meth as he was engaged in a high speed chase with police. Friggen’ classic.
    Personally, once I was smoking a joint with my brother in the car at the beach when a Broward sheriff rolled up. He has us dead to rights. So I took anther hit before I stepped out of the car. Going to jail anyway, right? Might as well take another hit. They’re not going to give it back to you.

• timquinn says:

Times have changed, I was standing out front of my place last week smoking a joint and suddenly noticed a cop car in the street and the driver looking at me. (I had my head down staring at my phone of course) I looked at him and nodded. He nodded back and drove on. Times have changed.