Mark joins Cool Tools

15 Responses to “Mark joins Cool Tools”

1. beforewepost says:

Will the real cool tools please stand? There’s http://www.cooltools.us/ and there’s the link kk.org/cooltools in the story.  Which is the real cool tools?

2. Stefan Jones says:

Coinkydinky . . .

I’m arranging and purging after a move. I just re-shelved the book version of SIGNAL. An utterly mind-blowing book when it came out . . . and a stunningly dated thing now. I’m keeping it out of historical interest. Really, the web has changed everything.

And I’m trying to find a home for my collection of the first five years of WIRED. (I have three or four extra copies of Issue #1, which I’m keeping.) (Seriously, if you live in the Portland area and want a collection of WIRED, get in touch. They occupy a long, heavy copy paper box.)

• aperturehead says:

I’ve been using this thing called eBay for a couple of months. It’s a company on the Internet (though I’m not sure what the Internet is…) – eBay is a company that allows people to sell things. I think they allow people to sell magazines, but you might want to check first. I assume eBay will work in Portland, but again you should check first

• Stefan Jones says:

Hey, congratulations! Give yourself a pedantic twit point!

I don’t want to sell the magazines. I’m just looking for a good home, and not have to go through the hassle of an auction or of shipping them.

The one person who was interested in them via the local Freecycle list never showed up to pick them up.

• aperturehead says:

There might not be much demand for old WIRED magazines – it’s that way with magazines like MAD and PLAYBOY – there were so many printed at the time, that the “rarity WOW factor” doesn’t really ever kick in. Unless you have signed issues or mis-prints or editions that were yanked off the market for some reason. One of the main problems with the desirability of old tech magazines is that the tech is out of date, articles that may have been cutting edge in 1997 might only have fleeting historical interest – I’ve learned that sometimes things just have to go into the recycling bin. Even libraries won’t takes things today that they used to take

• Stefan Jones says:

Sadly true. I am not beyond tossing those WIRED in the bin, but I don’t mind keeping them around for the week or two it takes to check Freecycle or mention them here.

WIRED Issue #1 is actually worth something, and I’m keeping a few issues of that. And a couple of them are signed by the publisher, and maybe Bruce Sterling (whose mug is on the cover).

• OtherMichael says:

>And I’m trying to find a place to put my 1971 The Last Whole Earth Catalog. It is an awkwardly huge thing.

I have mine next to the Designer’s Republic issue of Emigre, and the new collected editions of Popeye.

Oversized wonders, each and every wone.

3. timquinn says:

Hooray, excellent news. I think some day The Whole Earth Catalog will be seen as the first web and the social group that produced it as the spiritual core of the internet ethos. I am very happy to learn that my current favorite catalog of great stuff, boingboing, has its roots in that earlier example and look forward to the developments to come at Cool Tools, a site that has been in my bookmarks for a long time.

4. JIMWICh says:

Congrats, Mark!  I love Cool Tools and everything Kevin has a hand in!

5. Petzl says:

This has been a paid promotional by Cool Tools™, Inc.

6. hbgvfcdxsz says:

Interesting what happened to kevin kelly in israel