Adventure Time illo in new MAD magazine - exclusive excerpt

13 Responses to “Adventure Time illo in new MAD magazine - exclusive excerpt”

1. theophrastvs says:

i wasn’t familiar with the term “illo”, thankfully wiktionary clear up the matter for me (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-illo ): “Added to masculine nouns to denote a diminutive form”; oh my glob that’s so math!

• darren_gough says:

That’s not what Rob meant though, he means illustration.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

UK language mutilation.  Take the first syllable, adapt the final consonant as necessary for pronunciation, add a vowel or two.  Michael Jackson – Jacko.  Illustration – illo.  Present – pressie.

2. brandonmwest says:

Finn: Hey Jake, you ever wonder what a demon’s heart tastes like?
    Jake: Of course, dude!

3. nanner says:

While the illo is tops blooby it’s another reason my kids watch the MAD tv show and don’t read the comics. LSP smokin’ a dooby is not something they need to see :( BTW – I grew up on MAD magazine, started collecting them in the early 80s and collected tons of old back issues from the 60s and 70s,and the paperbacks and have been a huge fan for life. All my MADs are in order, in protective sleeves, in binders…a typical neurotic collection lol When I was going to share them with the kids I read back and was surprised by how racist, sexist and full of drug culture/drug references they were. I don’t know that the kids would even get the humor since they didn’t grow up exposed to all that stuff. So, the magazine collection is not for them but they’ve got awesome shows like Adventuretime, Regular Show and MAD and that’s mathematical!

• Brian Easton says:

You’re a real Fred Wertham, you are!

• timquinn says:

They thought they were doing it for a college age crowd. I heard Don Martin speak at UCLA years ago and when he said that I thought he was nuts. To me it isn’t college humor, maybe cause I had been reading it since I was 5 or so.

• brandonmwest says:

I started reading MAD when I was 7 or 8. My mom would go through each issue and censor all the bad words and nudity before I could read em. <3 my mom.

• farkface says:

No doubt that is the stupidest thing I have ever read.  I dont know how old your kids are, but if they are 12-13 they already get all that stuff, I know I did.

In other words you are not sheltering them from anything but a few laughs.

• Gyrofrog says:

(Note to self: remind the kids to hide all the Fleischer Bros. DVDs when nanner visits)

4. Jellodyne says:

Peppermint Butler would have been an awesome name for a 60s psychedelic band. The same is true for Lady Rainicorn or Lumpy Space Princess.

5. UncaScrooge says:

When I was a kid, all we had was “The Altered States of Drugachusetts.”