Flapper slang

16 Responses to “Flapper slang”

1. showme says:

I can count to potato!

2. Flapper slang, the hashtags of the speakeasy

3. noah django says:

that illustration is the real gem here.

• Look closely, the image is dated 2011.  It is not vintage.  Flappers may have done a lot of things, but getting tattoos was not one of them.

• I can’t find a good single reference, but a little Googling suggests that tattoos were surprisingly prevalent at various levels of society for Victorian women.  Thus, it doesn’t seem that clear that a flapper wouldn’t have a tattoo.  Also, a little heart like that could be put on as a beauty patch.  (Doesn’t change the date of the image, of course.)

• noah django says:

yeah, I saw that the type was computer-generated, but that illo looks scanned, like the other one on the page linked.  the absence of an artist credit seems to indicate a scan that was clipped out of it’s original context.  in any event, my enjoyment isn’t dependent on it’s vintage.  /reply to Bill

also, this is not “From a 1926 volume of Glamordaze,” but from Flapper, as Katey Corrigan pointed out below.  Glamordaze is a website, and as such was not extant in 1926.

4. xunker says:

See also “Grunge Speak”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_speak

5. Mark Stephan says:

It’s interesting that they were all negative terms though… what about the positive?

6. PinkWithIndignation says:

These sound too perfect to be real.

7. Katey Corrigan says:

A longer, earlier version has been online for a while: http://bookflaps.blogspot.com/2011/04/flappers-dictionary.html#

I highlighted my favorites when I posted them on my Tumblr: http://fifteencardigans.tumblr.com/tagged/a-flapper%27s-dictionary

The many variations on “the cat’s pajamas” are charming.

8. Every time I read this I can’t help but wonder if there is not a similar story behind it as with the story of grunge slang that’s told in Hype!
    That being, a hoax perpetreted by those in the know on the clueless outsider reporters printing this stuff

9. Kingazaz says:

None of those definitions were even close to being as dirty as I thought they’d be when I read the terms.