Norway enjoys 12-hour TV special of a fireplace, with commentary

28 Responses to “Norway enjoys 12-hour TV special of a fireplace, with commentary”

1. quietstorms says:

Why am I intrigued by this?

2. Paul Lenhart says:

Commetary: Of or pertaining to discussions on comets.

3. Spinkter says:

Kinda deepens the major Scandicrush I’ve got going on right now…

4. Well this sounds slightly more fun than the yulelogs we see here on US TV during the holidays.

5. millie fink says:

And thus is America’s sneaking fear of Europe’s generally higher levels of sophistication confirmed.

6. Dlo Burns says:

I am absolutely loving these slow-tv thing. My plan is to get a digital player that will run constantly for my tv so I can have animated art SO I CAN LIVE IN THE FUTURE.

7. Paul Renault says:

Too bad we can’t this in Eastern Canada.  That program’d look nice, playing next to my wood stove.

Edited to add:
    There was a community radio station in Ontario that used to shut down their programming at around midnight – the station was somewhere away from civilization. They’d leave leave a microphone pointed at the outside and broadcast the sounds of the forest all night long.

Their audience numbers were highest for this time slot.

8. pitkataistelu says:

NRK keep putting out these exciting new formats. I loved their train ride a few years back.

9. Amstrad00 says:

For those of you looking to have a similar experience, right here on the internet, there’s always this:

10. Jason Gilroy says:

I wouldn’t say they enjoyed it.

11. Daemonworks says:

“At one point 600,000 people tuned in to watch that program with 3.2 million people, or over 60 percent of the population, glued to the screen at one point.”

Well, that clears things up.

12. bluest_one says:

Hopefully, BBC Four will be broadcasting this with subtitles.

13. Øyvind says:

Add to this that one of the best selling (and critically acclaimed) books in Norway last year was a book about wood, it seems we have sort of a national fetish.
    If NRK follow their own tradition, the evening of wood might very well end up as a CC licenced torrent soon.

14. Frank Diekman says:

Odd reading of the word “enjoy”.

15. sigismund says:

Now you understand True Norwegian Black Metal.

16. We are to be what now?

17. mjd says:

“In Norway we have no hooliganism, because of our… so many fish programmes. Every day we have programmes on fish, on TV and on radio. Phone-ins, everything. [...] It calms people down.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBWSpJanPk&list=PL1BCE8DFD85FFAAB8&index=4

The timeless genius of Peter Cook.

18. Lemoutan says:

If you have two TVs, please don’t put the one showing the fish tank video on top of it.

19. kiptw says:

My in-laws in NJ just didn’t believe I wanted them to put a tape in the VCR and fill it up with The Yule Log. Thanks to WGN and the Internet, though, I have a Yule Log on my iPod that I can watch any time I want to see happy flames crackling.

20. Historybuff says:

Let’s face it, this would still be better than 90% of the *My Pawnstar Kitchen Celebrity Biggest Loser Idol* Shows that are endemic to TV.