Slave Leo, A Genderbent Slave Leia Costume

35 Responses to “Slave Leo, A Genderbent Slave Leia Costume”

1. I never thought I could be attracted to a Wookie.

2. Paul Renault says:

If it’s gender-bent Slave Leia, shouldn’t Leo be wearing a metallic cod-piece?

3. mrchillisauce says:

Doesn’t the fem-vader look a bit phallic?

4. johnstuartkill says:

Some serious feminist philosophers at Western recently addressed the idea of “Slave Leia” as a fitness goal on their very cool blog…and it includes some of Ryan’s writings on it, not to mention an actual photo of Ryan in his metallic cod-piece Slave Leo outfit. Check it out:  http://fitisafeministissue.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/do-you-want-to-look-like-slave-leia/

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

Not clear why the photo here doesn’t show him in the costume.

Also, depressing that he goes on about how physically inadequate he is to wear something so skimpy when he is, in fact, in great shape and looks hot in the costume.

• Yeah; it seems like the wrong photo was chosen for the boing boing lede.

(Edit: it’s fixed.)

• jere7my says:

No kidding! I read his insecure dissembling, then saw the pictures and said, “This gentleman has just inserted himself into ten thousand fangirl / fanboy fantasies.”

I’m really impressed and delighted with the costume. Too often people try to make the point that skimpy women’s clothing is ridiculous by sticking it on a man and saying, “See? Looks ridiculous,” ignoring the fact that an outfit or pose designed to highlight a typical female body is not going to do the same things on a man’s. (Not to say that strict crossdressing can’t look fantastic, because it can.) This dude thought it through and made something that says, “Hey, scantily clad submissivized men can be sexy as hell too,” which is a message I can get behind.

• Paul Renault says:

Isn’t that thing what’s hanging between his legs supposed to be hairy?

/Y’know, like a sporran?

• Sekino says:

I think maybe it was a protective move on his part. Knowing he’d be on display on the internets, he was sinking his own ship so trolls and haters couldn’t make this all about his appearance instead of focusing on the costume. It’s quicker and easier to bust out the doors saying ‘yeah, yeah I look like crap; moving on…’ rather than entertaining endless arguments with body-shaming strangers about how you’re actually good-looking enough in many people’s eye (and that it doesn’t even matter).

That said, I hope he doesn’t truly feel that self-critical. He does look just fine.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Where does that leave those of us who really are spindly, ricket-ridden, milky, wizened, dim-eyed, gammy-handed, limpy things?

• Sekino says:

Miles away from Slave Leia costumes? (I know I wouldn’t have the balls… well literally)

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’ve done the skimpy, and I was much scrawnier than him.  And I was doing it in the Castro at Halloween, where I’m pretty sure that the standards for male pulchritude are significantly higher than at DragonCon.  This is c. 1985.  Turns out that I’m allergic to zebra hair, by the way.

• Sekino says:

ZOMG pic!! :D Looking good and remarkably authentic… suffering through wearing real zebra hair was worth it.

6. Daemonworks says:

More power to him for going out of his comfort zone, and his apparent reasons for doing so… I must admit I’d have been more impressed if he’d been wearing loincloth than a kilt, as the costume actually calls for.

That said… folks, that’s a sporan, not a codpiece.

7. Mister44 says:

Want better pics of the Fett costume.

8. Linley Lee says:

I think I need a lie down or a cold shower or something.

9. awjt says:

Nice, err, repoussé.

10. Kurt says:

Dig the cross genre Yggdrasil chest hair. He is cute.

11. noah django says:

cool costume, but I like the Lord Of The Rings theme, too.  that tattoo of the elvish tree of life on his chest is pretty sweet.

12. Sofia Ortiz says:

The only thing I can think to say is HOT! Nothing turns a girl on like a bold feminist gesture from a man (: The creativity and costumery and balls that went into making this only add to the awesome.

13. Purple-Stater says:

I must admit…. I never understood the fascination.