Guy's American Kitchen: Honky-Tonky Double Barrel Meat Loaded Blast

25 Responses to “Guy's American Kitchen: Honky-Tonky Double Barrel Meat Loaded Blast”

1. C W says:

For the people who really wish they had more fake-chipotle HFCS drizzle on their Applebee’s chik’n globule crispitos.

And from glancing at the Fieri fan response to the NYT review of his new restaurant, there’s seriously a market for this crap.

2. Dlo Burns says:

I should probably pass this on

“Hi I’m Guy Fieri. I just filled your stockings with gravy. Ho ho ho”

3. Matt Wagner says:

Most of these jokes were ripped off from other people on twitter without their consent:  http://i.imgur.com/ZQ0IVbU.png

4. Kelly Amsbry says:

Reading this aloud to my kids last night made me laugh so hard I cried. Don’t care who he stole it from it was comic genius.

5. gluther says:

Reminds me of Patton Oswalt’s Steak/Black Angus “gauntlet of angry food” bit.

6. Pokemon Otis says:

The sad thing is that this could have been legitimately great if he had given proper credit to the Twitter users.

7. blueelm says:

So strange. This seems like a typical restaurant in Dallas.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Occasionally, some theme restaurant would open in San Francisco with that kind of menu. And then close. You could serve the same food as long as you called it sun-warmed baby arugula floating on a cloud of bee balm-absinthe aioli.

8. txb23 says:

Yes, a lot of text was borrowed. But whoever put the fake menu together took some raw ideas from Twitter and improved virtually all of them, then fashioned them into a plausible-looking menu and added a number of additional, presumably original jokes that hold their own with the “stolen” gags. No harm, no foul.

• james r says:

Even though I didn’t get the sense that the plagiarism was truly malicious, it would have been very easy to give credit even without having asked permission beforehand. Since nothing prevented that, and despite the many enhancements and wonderful presentation, this is an obvious foul.

• C W says:

“it would have been very easy to give credit ”

It would have destroyed the immersion of it all. Nobody’s monetizing this, and if a person googles, I’m sure they’ll come across the brilliant original tweets and throw all that money that was never going to go to this project on the original writers.

• james r says:

So it was artistic integrity that prevented him from crediting the artists? :)

The rights issue occurs far upstream of any practical issues that the plagiarist was facing.

["My new limited folio edition of Cory's new novel had no good place to put his name on the cover."]

But also: crediting, as with most published parodies that I can think of, can be done easily, tastefully, without ruining the immersion for the .000001% of people who went there not seeking a known parody. Just run a small byline across the bottom: “Thanks to the hilarious work of, etc …”

9. Jen Onymous says:

This would be even better if it was used as a kicking-off point for a Milk and Cheese comic.  I would LOVE to see the dairy duo rampage through Fieri’s place.

10. stabitha says:

I’m deeply upset that the Prufrocktober contains nothing that was measured out with coffee spoons. #nerds

11. yrogerg says:

Honestly, I’m going to come to the defense of this poor schmuck.  Did he rip off jokes from tweeters?  Yes.  Should he have been aware that the Internet hivemined would catch wise sooner or later?  Absolutely.  Am I comfortable calling it plagarism or likening it to the Glee/JoCo thing?  Not really.  Here’s why:

First, this form of plagarism, in comedy, and stand-up comedy in particular, has a somewhat storied history.  Obviously there are some more egregious examples like Carlos Mencia, but also even fairly lauded comics like Chris Rock have been known to lift material from lesser-known comedians (his “guns don’t kill people, bullets do” routine as one example).  Anecdotally, I could probably further cite a half-dozen or so times where the writers of the Daily Show have lifted jokes from the posts and comments sections of a few political comedy blogs I religiously follow, as well.

Which leads to my second point, actually: the other reason I’m uncomfortable with the word plagarism in this case is that, while most of the jokes are drawn from other people, there *is* synthesis here.  A number of the jokes are improved as presented.  A couple are actually diminished by the treatment.  But he did, in fact, add something to the originals.

In summary, do the original wits deserve some recognition for the jokes here?  Yeah, sure.  But this guy did improve the presentation, and improved several of the jokes, and also had the forethought to check if the obvious domain for Guy’s restaurant was unparked.  So in conclusion: meh.

• james r says:

This is to ignore the basic value of a lyric. If he had not relied on the work of others, would he still have had a product worth posting? Not likely. He implicitly chose their work over his own; he decided for us that those tweeters were better at this than he.*

I’m surprised there is any kind of debate on this at all.

Credit the capitalist, and ignore the artist?

*It also appears that he was posting the completed menu for another person who was the original compiler/plagiarist, shifting this entire debate to that person. I think, still, that this was lovingly done. Crediting would have been easy, though, and should be done immediately.

12. pjcamp says:

Back to the topic, I would be falling down on the job if I did not point out that Guy’s American Kitchen was the topic of the most epic restaurant review smackdown ever published:

“Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex? When you saw the burger described as “Guy’s Pat LaFrieda custom blend, all-natural Creekstone Farm Black Angus beef patty, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion + pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey Sauce on garlic-buttered brioche,” did your mind touch the void for a minute? “