"Scientists have connected the brains of lab rats, allowing one to communicate directly to another via cables. The wired brain implants allowed sensory and motor signals to be sent from one rat to another, creating the first ever brain-to-brain interface." [Jen Whyntie at the BBC]

44 Responses to “Rat brains linked in first ever brain-to-brain interface”

1. hamdinger says:

Link is dead?

2. Could I have my brain linked to the brain of someone who knows what they’re doing?

3. Matt Hoskins says:

Brain to Brain interface?

Are you pondering what I’m pondering, Pinky?

4. Cowicide says:

Don’t they already do this to humans with television “programming”?

5. ldobe says:

I’m just imagining two rats sitting at a miniscule piano, connected by a mess of wires sprouting from their skulls, playing chopsticks.

6. Dan Hibiki says:

A story about mind melding above Spock socks. Irony.

7. kmoser says:

I believe our senses like hearing, touch and vision were the first brain-to-brain interfaces: one person does something, the other sees and/or hears it and responds accordingly. Voila! Brain-to-brain communication via sensory channels.

• IamInnocent says:

Too bad we can’t help but fuck about the simplest things in life.

• gjbloom says:

Indeed.  The exciting bit here is that we may eventually have much higher bandwidth connections between brains.  Right now, a thought has to be abstracted into symbols, then encoded on a stream of air waves or characters, then decoded by the receiving brain, then more-or-less reconstituted in the brain of the receiver.  If we had high-bandwidth brain interconnects, whole thoughts and perceptions might jump from brain to brain at the speed of thought.  As a side-effect, our sense of individuality would be transformed.  Our current notion of individuality is an artifact of the bandwidth bottleneck between our brains.

8. Boundegar says:

Am I the only one horrified by this story?  “Scientists do amusing things to the BRAINS OF LIVING ANIMALS”

9. Mr. Son says:

I for one welcome our new telepathic rat overlords.

Seriously though, this was so awesome to hear that once I’d gone over the article, I immediately called up my family to share the news. Electronic telepathy! I’m looking forward to what new technologies emerge from this. Games controlled directly by the mind, art tools, communication systems, etc… It’s a marvel!

• peregrinus says:

I can’t wait for some 13 year olds to hack Kim Jong-un and make him dance Gangnam style whilst masturbating in front of the UN.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

He’s besties with Dennis Rodman as of this week. With any luck, we’ll see some makeup and a new hair color.

• peregrinus says:

Aaaaah – Dennis is a trojan horse!  He must have a wired-up Ceti eel or two to slip into KJ-u’s ear – I am so watching the news carefully for the next 3 weeks.

• euansmith says:

Adverts straight from Google to your brain without the need for Glasses.

• They already have games that you can control via your mind. Seriously: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1880784,00.html

10. Rich Keller says:

It’s a hardwired Rat King.

11. peregrinus says:

I hereby proclaim myself Great Ned Ludd Leader of UnwiredBrainz.org – proponents and zealots of free will and freedom.

Our brainz will not be eaten by teeth nor binary codez.

12. euansmith says:

“Thank you for agreeing to our terms and conditions. In line with this agreement, your long term memory has now been encrypted and monetized. You can access your memories by entering your PIN. Please have your credit card details to hand…”

• howaboutthisdangit says:

iMemory.  Keep your memories in the cloud.  What could possibly go wrong?

• peregrinus says:

A: “Dear, what have you been doing this last half hour?”

B: “Umm … I don’t know.”

A: “What do you mean you don’t know?  What have you been doing?”

B: “Ummm …. nothing.  I mean … I don’t know.”

A: “You filthy pervert!  Your account is blank!  You filthy disgusting pervert!  I’m having nothing more to do with you!”

B: “What?!  What did you say?!”

A: “Hmm?  Nothing.  I don’t know.  What have you been doing this last half hour?”

• euansmith says:

iMemory Mapping; not as accurate as Google Memory Mapping.

13. efergus3 says:

Next – pleasure center to pleasure center. What one rat does, the other will enjoy also.