20 Responses to “Toy Story Zoetrope”

1. noahd says:

One of my favorite things at Disneyland. Of course we realize this is an homage to the zoetrope found at the Studio Ghibli Museum, yes?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGoVrsBSz0

2. OldBrownSquirrel says:

There’s some temporal aliasing in the video, but it’s not as bad as I’d feared.

• lishevita says:

I think that this is the effect of the flashing lights being at 18 per second and the camera filming 25 frames per second. There’s a mis-match in what the camera is taking pictures of and what the human eye would have been “taking pictures” of.

3. Guest says:

There’s a great Totoro themed one in the Ghibli Museum.  Unfortunately, the few videos you can find of it on Youtube are pretty sucky since they don’t allow photography inside.

4. Ladyfingers says:

For videos afflicted with this… orientation, switch the height and width values in the embed code.

• nixiebunny says:

Or teach people how to shoot a video… sideways.

I wold be delighted if all phone video cameras refused to record if they weren’t in landscape mode, or just used the central 1/3 of the image in landscape mode if they were being held upright.

• Nathaniel says:

In fairness, this is one of the few situations where holding the camera vertically is entirely justified. The iPhone’s rolling shutter would have resulted in horribly distorted images if it had been shot horizontally.

• Ladyfingers says:

Oh, I’m not being (very) petty about the angle, I just think if you’re going to have the video in portrait format, the player should make the best use of it.

5. Where can I find this? I’m at Disney California now and would love to see it.

6. jmcgarry says:

My boys and I loved this, the Animation Academy, in the same building, is fun too.

7. baronkarza says:

Saw this as part of the Pixar exhibit at the Oakland Museum in 2010, it creates a wonderful waking hallucination! And it’s pretty big.

8. capawesome says:

How do people still not know to hold their damn phones horizontally?

9. robcat2075 says:

I had seen video of that before but never with people in the background to reference its size.  i had no idea it was so huge!

10. thias says:

…the Zoetroep can also be seen at the “PIXAR 25 years of animation”-excibit in Hamburg Germany – Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe: