9 Responses to “Videos of songs that appeared on Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968”

1. shutz says:

I’m a hipster: I only have the vinyl version of this set, which is about 1/4 of the content of the CD box set.  But I like it nonetheless.

Last Sunday, I bought this record set that compiles various recordings from 1966 to 1970 by artists on the Vanguard label.  I like it even more than the Nuggets compilation.  It rocks harder (more Hendrix-style, less Byrds-style, if you will) and feels a bit darker.

2. flyoverland says:

This song always take me back to the sixties. I close my eyes and I get the stabbing fear of getting drafted. Excellent bass lines. They should have been much bigger.

3. Gilbert Wham says:

I( like it. However, it lacks the Brit verisimilitude of the crowd’s gurning cos they’re full of dexies robbed from the local chemists…

4. timquinn says:

Now that guy sounds like Lennon. For a while in the early sixties it was impossible for some Americans to sing rock and roll without affecting an English accent of some sort.

5. Uncle Geo says:

The music is great. Movies and TV shows portrayal of 60s music and young people was universally so excessively lame and far off the reality that I’m using cringe muscles I haven’t used since then.

• flyoverland says:

You try singing with a starched collar and tight necktie.

• timquinn says:

You sense that the gag is not working like the writers had hoped. Especially Sky Saxon seems just beyond cooperating. The gnarly core of hard rock had formed but not yet declared itself outside the garage. This is the first encounter between the perpetual childhood of sitcoms and the perpetual adolescence of rock. Awkward. The obvious next step is The Stooges. Get the folks to leave the room and the party can get started for serious.

6. jbond says:

I do hope somebody does something similar for the “Second Psychedelic Era”.

7. raytube says:

Love the Nuggets series.  Many years ago in London, I picked up a dutch garage comp, “Flight to Lowlands Paradise,Vol 2″.  It’s even better than any of the Nuggets records!  I loved it so much, I had already done the same here.  Look for my  “Flight to Lowlands Paradise Vol 2″ youtube playlist, it only has one live video, mostly audio, and its missing one track (the great ‘kicks’ by the centaurs).   http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA436196204F4ED1B