History of "Tree Swing" drawings about business communication

16 Responses to “History of "Tree Swing" drawings about business communication”

1. Michael A says:

oh my god.. as a white goods appliance engineer this hits a little too close to home.. but made me literally LOL at my desk. thank you for posting this, this is totally going on my cube wall.

2. haineux says:

Sometimes the Dragon Wins is one of several of such compendia/histories. I enjoy this book a lot.

3. Nadreck says:

I recall a version where there was a “As presented by Sales” which had a half-naked babe on the swing surrounded by an army of cute dancing cartoon animals and flowers.

4. blearghhh says:

There was a variation of this passed around via fax machines and photocopiers for the pro sound industry back when I worked in it.

Wildly different pictures of sound systems with “what the rider specified” “What the local rental company supplied” “what the band thought was cool”. That kind of thing.  Funny at the time. I wish I could find it now.

• Lupus_Yonderboy says:

I work in Pro AV and I’d like to see it too – I believe that I’ve seen a version of this with different statements (relating to Pro Audio but maybe Video) but it was the same basic diagram.

5. Amphigorey says:

The field service one looks remarkably like the swing that Death installed for his granddaughter.

6. Jorpho says:

The first version I saw was related to patent applications, with the tire swing bearing the caption “as circumvented”.

7. Maybe that’s how you THINK engineering designed it. That is because you are an idiot. I assure you, that is NOT how engineering designed it.

8. It’s ridiculously depressing how well I can relate to this. Ughhhh

9. Yep, I’ve used this when trying to get projects to apply Systems Engineering and Requirements Management. Next up, the history of the “Vee Diagram”

10. treacle says:

It made you similar to him?  Or it made you appreciate him?
    Did you turn into an embittered old engineer?  :)

11. dnebdal says:

Huh, I saw a version of this in the 90s – translated to Swedish. I was ~12 at the time, reading “System design in BASIC for the ABC80″ or somesuch (I got a hand-down Z80/BASIC computer from my grandfather).  It’s the only thing I concretely remember from that book. :)

12. Gillian B says:

I have a copy that I just put up on my wall – genuine 1985 Australian Public Service vintage! (I know – it was inside an application I’d written then)