Read more in Music at Boing Boing

David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

23 Responses to “Suburban Lawns: Long Beach post-punk”

1. I feel like I remember that Janitor song

• Mitchell Glaser says:

One of my favorite lyrics from that song:

Underwater, does it matter, anti-matter?
      Nuclear reactor, boom boom boom boom.

Those were the days!

2. peteykins says:

Wow, two big favorites of mine in two days (yesterday was Monitor).

I’d love to know what became of Sue Tissue. Her solo piano album is pretty interesting.

I saw them live in Tucson in 1982, and they were really good, super tight, and Sue Tissue was sooooo peculiar. God, I loved them.

I wish this would get properly re-released, and the “Baby” EP, too.

3. cstatman says:

reminds me of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s album Reactor     (which i used to listen to and everyone in North East Teas thought  “that kid ain’t right”)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzSSfvsHFs

4. Garymon says:

I really loved the Suburban Lawns. Didn’t really know anyone else that was into them tough. To this day whenever someone mentions a nuclear reactor I hear these lyrics:

All action is reaction
    Expansion
    Contraction
    Man the manipulator

Underwater
    Does it matter
    Antimatter
    Nuclear reactor
    Boom boom boom boom

5. Now I feel like watching some Rubber Rodeo, just for the hell of it. One of the band members was cartoonist Doug Allen.

6. John Neumann says:

I’m a fan and yes, Su’s solo album is actually quite wonderful to listen to. I believe there were efforts to locate her recently but she declined to talk to anyone about the past.

• David Pescovitz says:

That’s actually from the fantastic early 1980s TV show Night Flight, where I first heard a lot of great New Wave/post-punk bands:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Flight_(TV_series)

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

That’s from New Wave Theater, which David correctly pointed out appeared on night flight.

7. Larktavia says:

I saw them at Magic Mountain in the early 80s. (When is someone going to release a DVD collection of all those gigs by the way!?) Flying Saucer Safari has one of the best guitar solos ever. I would love to know what Su is doing these days.

8. This why I come to boing boing.  Love this song that I had never heard.  I found this while looking up Su Tissue, a solo album

9. horn5555 says:

I saw them in Eugene in a little good time rock’n'roll bar in late 1981 or early 1982.  Su Tissue appeared in a form and face obscuring outfit.  It completely eliminated any ability to judge her by her appearance as a woman rather than by her performance as a singer.  I have wondered about what was the thought (if any) behind her costume.

10. Peter Jes Kohler says:

Do these posts about excellent post-punk make up for the usually shitty music coverage at BoingBoing? Yes, I think they do.

11. Boundegar says:

In 1978 we all wanted to be the Talking Heads.

12. HammerheadFistpunch says:

Quit spying on my vinyl collection – I just happened to pull this one out last week, while looking for something else & ended up with ‘Janitor’ in my head for the next few days.

13. Billy Green says:

This is one of the vinyl albums I saved because I assumed I would never find it on CD or iTunes.  So far I’ve been right.

I also wonder whatever happened to Henry Badowski from around the same time (also kept the vinyl of “Life Is a Grand”).

14. JIMWICh says:

Suburban Lawns were a favorite of mine!

And Su Tissue as Peggy Dillman was my favorite character in “Something Wild” and had the single best line, delivered very flatly, “He’ll get in trouble with those guys.”