Microsoft "working on a smartwatch"

23 Responses to “Microsoft "working on a smartwatch"”

1. SuperMatt says:

Microsoft already invented and sold a “smart” watch in 2004.  Of course, they already invented and sold the “tablet PC” in 2002, so I guess inventing something isn’t good enough.  It has to actually be usable too.

2. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Given how well they manage to deliver what people actually want there is a good chance this smart watch will do everything… except tell time.

3. Whatever happened to the Motorola “MOTOACTV” watch? Every time I hear about smartwatches on the the news, I am reminded of the massive press release they had, followed shortly by the company’s collapse and partial acquisition. I’d like to think that it wasn’t just a large, complex hallucination on my part, but nobody ever seems to recall that someone pushed out an android watch shortly after Apple released their watch-sized iPod Nano.

4. eragle says:

I like how even though none of the big 3 or 4 have even released a product yet, it’s still implied that it was Apple’s idea.

/just giving Rob a hard time….

5. Nash Rambler says:

People, obviously what this product needs is a pack-in Dick Tracy yellow hat.  If you are going to deliver on a premise, why go halfway?

*nods smugly to own self*

6. Rob Wheeler says:

Better have a calculator feature.

7. Sparrow says:

I had the previous Microsoft smartwatch. It was kind of neat, except for needing to subscribe to MSN direct services to set it up, not working with Twitter, needing to be charged on an inductive charger every night without fail, and not even telling time when it couldn’t get a signal.

8. This is exactly the thing a company like Microsoft would be working on. Because in today’s age of everybody having a smartphone pasted to their body, nobody has a device able to tell them the time.

9. hyperfocal says:

For me, one of the side benefits of carrying a smartphone is not having to wear a watch. I suspect that for the vast majority of people, this “smart watch” concept is a solution in search of a problem.

10. Jon Bakos says:

Now that smartphone users have given up wearing a watch, we’re going to try and sell them a watch? That will need constant charging? That does the same stuff as your smartphone, but less of it? And that only has a usefully large screen if your wrist is the size of a ham? Sign me the heck up!

• oasisob1 says:

I don’t know anyone under 30 who wears a watch except as fashion statement. Good thing the over-30 set drives technology sales.

11. jgs says:

I see the inevitable avalanche of “I don’t wear a watch therefore this is a stupid idea” posts has begun:

“No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.”

Not that I think MS is likely to succeed in this market segment, but I think someone is. For my own purposes, the appeal is something that can show me notifications without making me dig in my pocket. For the moment, a watch seems like the most feasible form factor for such a device (though I look forward to the contact lens version).

• TheKaz1969 says:

.. what about glasses? less conspicuous in meetings than looking at your watch (which is, to be fair, less conspicuous than checking your smart phone).

of course, if you really want to goof off in meetings, a tablet is best. Everyone just thinks you are taking notes.

• jgs says:

I was wondering if someone would bring those up. For me, I don’t find glasses very comfortable for all-day wear. (Wore them for years, switched to contacts, am much happier.) Also, I don’t really care about the “inconspicuous in meetings” angle, although I’m sure many will. That said, I’m not sure glasses are going to be so very inconspicuous. The first generation will stick out like a sore thumb — “oh, you got google glasses, cool, how do you like them?”. By the second generation, everyone will know how to read the telltale eyeball flicking or glazed look and will know whether you’re paying attention or doing something else while pretending.

• TheKaz1969 says:

Good points. I kind of feel the same way about wearing watches – especially with short sleeves. Hopefully, they’ll both survive and give people options…

• Promethean Sky says:

I’m here to break expectations. I DO wear a watch, and I think this is a stupid idea.

12. ChickieD says:

I’m a chick (<–a Dee) and I would love to have a watch instead of a phone. Unfortunately, all the early stuff that came to market was terrible. I think you'd need a headset or pin that attaches to the lapel for voice communication, but now that everyone is texting more than talking, I'd jump. Half my clothes don't have pockets. But who wants a giant watch? How can they implement it and make it work? How can you text one handed? Someone has got to nail the interface on this thing finally; I think there could be a market if it was a giant ugly nasty thing you can't use, like all the previous ones.

13. Eark_the_Bunny says:

If this watch is so ‘smart’, why is it letting Microsoft work on it?

14. TheKaz1969 says:

” it makes sense that everyone’s scrambling to join Apple on the starting blocks for the new big thing. But has anyone committed to anything? ”

Has Apple committed to a smart watch? not trying to be a d!ck, I just really don’t know if all that is still rumor or official?

15. Mike Meyer says:

Microsoft Time Personal Edition 1.0 with Windows Watch 8.