Brian Eno designed hospital room

10 Responses to “Brian Eno designed hospital room”

1. niktemadur says:

Surgeon prescribes Brian Eno to patients.

Put me inside four walls filled with Rothko and I’m a happy camper.

2. peregrinus says:

Brian Eno has ways and means beyond mere mortals.  I love his concept ‘nothing is an accident or mistake’ (single quotes depicting recall not research)

3. vonbobo says:

Hospitals can be incredibly miserable spaces, not including the reason being there in the first place.

Closer to topic, check out a cool documentary The Science of Healing with Dr Esther Sternberg.

4. aurora50 says:

This is a thing we can do for loved ones in hospital.  My story follows.

In 2006, my former spouse, and great pal, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  There was no doubt I would be with him the whole way.  He was going to have super major surgery and be in for at least 10 to 12 days.

His surgery was all day; I had come to the hospital with a basket full of different textiles to drape, a radio/CD player, photos of loved ones and loved places, a spritzer of  aromatherapy I had made, and a green plant.  I created an environment for him.  Over the days that followed, I got a notebook to leave outside the room so that visitors could write him something and not interrupt his sleep.  A bunch of gladiolus from the garden became a daily blessing and metaphor as one blossom dropped off as the next opened up.

An unexpected benefit was that as the nurses and docs were whizzing through on rounds, they would all come to a stop and stay for a minute, just to enjoy the space.  We could then, after that pause, ask them a quiet question.  That ended up being a very good thing when some complications arose.

I also arranged to have snacks on hand, so that visitors and medical personnel could enjoy themselves.  Any thing he ate, I brought in or had his many friends provide.  So that his nourishment was as complete as possible.

In the years since he has passed on, I have thought about those days from time to time.  It was total instinct that led me to create a healing space for him like that; I learned a lot from letting myself do it…it was simple and effective.  I loved him.

5. DevinC says:

I hope David Lynch isn’t given similar license with the psychiatric ward.

6. timquinn says:

Yeah, but it wasn’t the peacock Eno who did this project. He’s been gone for 30 years. It was the sainted Eno of monkish artworks and cryptic card games.

7. pjcamp says:

Granny’s on fire?

Better throw her in the water.

8. He certainly was enchanting, in the day. Still is, in a lot of ways.