Casio Pathfinder Solar Atomic Watch

24 Responses to “Casio Pathfinder Solar Atomic Watch”

1. Kylini says:

If you want the solar atomic goodness in a watch that doesn’t look like an abomination on your wrist, check out the Casio MTG-1000. All the rugged G-Shock durability with it only being slightly (rather than outrageously) over the top.

I’m a bit of a klutz and am good at slipping on ice. I’ve fallen directly on my wrist at least twice and it still looks good as new!

• TheOven says:

I was going to say how amazing it was that someone’s made a watch uglier than the Gshock series, then I saw your post.

It is better than I remember. This one looks like Timex’s Iron man and the original Gshock had baby.

2. dbergen says:

Honest question, what does this do that my phone doesn’t that is worth $150?

• retepslluerb says:

Worth to you? Probably nothing. To other? Probably even more.

It’s not for me, but I don’t trek and I dislike wristwatches. But I can see the usefulness for some people.

My wife, otoh, doesn’t even see the value of a simple cellphone, considering how often hers runs out of juice without being used and the 0€ bill we get each month.

• Ted Ywinkle says:

It ‘s always visible, as opposed to your phone, that’s in your pocket? I don’t know anyone with an active lifestyle who rock cllimbs or hikes with their cell phone in one hand. Your phone also doesn’t have a thermometer, and altimeter apps are notoriously inaccurate; they just pull the data based on your location.

• tacochuck says:

It is an ABC watch: altimeter, barometer, compass, temperature, my guess is your cell phone does not do at least 3 of those natively.

• Jon Konrath says:

Pull out your phone while you’re swimming and let us know how that works out for you.

• mccrum says:

Depends on if you keep your phone in your pocket and like to know what time it is in social situations without having to obviously look like you want to know what time it is.  Depends on if you like to turn off your phone and go backpacking or something and have a more minimal way of having some of the same functions.

If I recall, I paid around $50 for mine about six years ago, I doubt I’d pay $150 to replace it…

3. Smoobly Renfrew says:

Sounds great. How much for one that isn’t butt-ugly?

• Paul Renault says:

I have the PAW1500T-7V, which is all matte gray and black, and with a ti wristband.

I have large hands and forearms (I had to use all the extra wristband links they supplied) – the watch looks good and proportionate on my arm.

It’s a very minor point, but Carl didn’t mention that the watch comes in a very nifty wooden box.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Non-reflective?

4. joe k. says:

Personal timepieces (even the digital ones) are soooooooo steampunk! I forgot all about them.

5. trentboyett says:

I’ve got a PRG-550.  It’s also a Solar ABC watch.  No atomic time, but it’s got an analog face so a bit classier.  The compass function uses the sweeping second hand, it’s all kinds of awesome.

Casio does make similar models that have the Atomic option, but they’re all quite a bit more expensive.

6. this is a GREAT watch! it’s also my go-to for trips to the top o’ the world!

7. zog says:

I was recently looking for watches that didn’t need to be set – and the Casio atomic seemed to be the only affordable solution. Unfortunately it is dependant on the location of the time signal transmitters, which don’t reach to Australia. Though evidently you might get lucky and sync to a Japanese transmitter occasionally if you live in a high rise on the Queensland/NSW coast.

8. JeffF says:

“The best things about it: 1) it’s solar powered (I don’t like replacing batteries) and 2) it’s linked to an atomic clock.”

The reverse would be significantly cooler, though also significantly less useful.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

it’s linked to an atomic clock.

Make sure not to wear it when you’re in a summoning circle.

9. I looked at the coverage areas for radio synchronised watches when I wanted to buy one but it looked like I would have to fly to Japan to set the correct time.

10. StandardXI says:

I suggest before you consider purchasing this plastic watch you visit r/watches at Reddit.com and consider that for a man a watch is one of the only acceptable piece of jewelry and you’d be much happier with an automatic watch in a classic style.

• TomoDatik says:

What makes you think I’d be happier with decorative jewelry rather than a functional tool?

Also, I’m not going to let a bunch of Reddiots dictate what is or isn’t acceptable to wear.

• mccrum says:

I considered what I liked and just went with that.  It seemed like I knew what would make me much happier.

I pretty much accept any kind of jewelry a man wants to wear that makes him happy, so apparently they wouldn’t want me around those parts.

11. ffabian says:

I love my Casio F-91W a.k.a “the terrorist watch”:
    Cheap, durable, long battery life, water resistant,  easily replaceable if I destroy or lose it and not-a-brick-on-a-wristband like most watches for men.

12. retepslluerb says:

That is the woman’s version.

The men version has an additional band saw, a homing device and a distillery option.

13. kilby says:

“I was able to fix it easily with a PH000 screwdriver.”

Just an FYI- You might have compromised the waterproofing when you did this; waterproof/resistant watches tend to have their backplates screwed into the back of the watch in a pressure vacuum chamber (the vacuum left inside the watch helps to keep the seal tight, preventing water from getting in). A good watch repairer will have a vacuum chamber for this task, or will send it off to a company that does.