16 Responses to “Homemade Thor's hammer with an 80,000 volt Tesla coil in it”

1. Martin Greve says:

I’m sorry to say that this looks less impressive than what I had hoped for. :(

2. Bender says:

Ant Man will be impressed.

3. Nash Rambler says:

What Martin just said; I too am more than mildly disappointed.  When I read “Thor’s Hammer,” “Tesla Coil,” and “80,000 volts,” I’m sort of expecting a lot more than an Uncle Fester bit.  I demand arcs of lightning!  Real giant bolts of lightning!

It’s probably Command & Conquers’ fault.  Builds up the expectations, that game does.

4. TheOven says:

That was… disappointing.

5. citizen says:

Don’t smite me, bro!

6. Jorge Velasquez says:

I like what it does to lightbulbs that are near it, but I was thinking it would be more like the taser sword: http://youtu.be/0F-VVjqarZE

7. Erik Denning says:

Thor is too Aryan for me.

8. David Harris says:

It’s an interesting little hack, but nowhere near as impressive an the title lead me to believe.

9. Alan Olsen says:

Do not lick.

10. OtherMichael says:

I hate being a party pooper. But I suppose I wallow enough in my own self-hate to comment anyway.

I wanted to see a hammer that smashed down and THEN burst out with lightining.
    Instead, we get a big foam* clicky-thing that has tiny sparks and can LOOK OUT LOKI I AM COMING FOR YOU illuminate fluorescent lights that are held within a foot.

LOOK OUT LOKI I AM COMING FOR YOU _AND YOUR LIGHTBULBS_ THAT YOU WILL HOLD CLOSE TO MY HAMMER M’KAY?

If you work with Tesla coils and stuff on a daily basis, you’re probably pretty impressed. It’s a small tesla coil, it’s all sort of other coolness!

But it’s also like a computer programmer trying to show a radical algorithm to non-techie management. They are just not impressed with the non-visuals.

*foam is not an issue. It looks pretty good.

To make a long story short, this did not impress me, I think, because I do not know enough to be impressed.

Now, if he slammed the foam hammer down and the pressure fired off a sonic canon THAT would impress me.

11. Dave X says:

All the disappointment of comments above, plus the extra disappointment of hearing him say that he basically bought the Tesla coil off someone else and stuck it foam. Boring!

12. Boundegar says:

My son is a big fan of A Certain Scientific Railgun.  He’s gonna love this!

13. bcsizemo says:

Whenever I think of lighting and Tesla coils I always wander back to Russia and their high voltage testing:

A man made spark at 500 feet long only needed 5 million volts and 678 kilojoules to happen….just imagine the amount of power contained in a summer thunder storm…