Parker Jotter Pen: Lightweight, smooth-writing pen

23 Responses to “Parker Jotter Pen: Lightweight, smooth-writing pen”

1. sargasso says:

I entirely agree with your review. I love my Parker Jotter, have been carrying it since 1982. Indestructible, writes beautifully and is easily held.

2. Nic says:

Parker jotters are at a very sweet spot. Cheap enough to lose without tears, but expensive enough for people to give back after they borrow it.

My favourite is one that I found in the street embossed ‘DALE CARNEGIE COURSE – Human Relations Award’. It is like the essence of mid 20th century optimism and business philosophy distilled into one object. Anybody who aspires to own more than a Bic, can.

3. Tex says:

I still have my Parker T-Ball Jotter from the 1960s. I just had to have it for some reason that I can’t remember and it was the only pen I would use.

4. Preston Sturges says:

Where’s the ka-boom?

5. spiderking says:

Simon agrees with you, Seth.

6. inkfumes says:

I can’t believe my review got boinged. I am thrilled.

7. Daemonworks says:

Oh, right, pens. I remember pens.

8. Joost Nagtegaal says:

Inspired by my father (who has been writing with Jotters for as long as I can remember – although not the full steel ones), I have been using one since high school. I always opt for the ‘broad’ filling; it runs more smoothly over paper than the small/medium points, and has a certain authoritative thickness of line.

9. Joe Deniable says:

I much prefer gel pens because of the thicker lines they make. It makes my writing look much nicer than with any other pen or pencil, and I find them much more pleasurable to write with, because of the thicker ink. I carry one in my trouser pocket so don’t have a problem with the size of the rubber grip. You can get a box of 15 for under $15 on Amazon.

• retepslluerb says:

Pens are a highly individual matter.  For me, fountain pencils work best, coupled with a mechanical pen and soft (B) lead.  I even got a fountain pen with neon ink instead of a standard text marker.

I used a broad nib, which made my handwriting appear nicer, but it just masked some defects and is actually less intelligible. Bottom line: These reviews are fine and useful, but you do have to try these things out for yourself.  And not to be afraid to ditch that cool yet expensive pen when it doesn’t work out.

10. Dave X says:

The “Bond Lifestyle” web page?  Ugh.

11. Jim Roth says:

I have big hands and I have liked these pens as long as I’ve been writing. I carry the stainless one with me when I work as an EMT because (a) You can open it with one hand, (b) it can be easily disinfected with alcohol, and (c) you can put the Fisher Space Pen refill inside for write-upside-down-on-anything convenience. Also, as mentioned, not a big deal if you lose it.

12. kobrakai says:

I’ve had a Parker pen for about 20 years now but have found their refills to be lacking in the past few years. Is that why you switched to the Fisher? I very sadly stopped using my Parker but would love to bring it out of retirement.

13. Jonathan Roberts says:

I teach too, I prefer Pilot Frixion erasable rollerball pens. http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pilot-Frixion-Clicker-07.html#a22900 I use them for marking (they come in a few different colours) and also for practicing Chinese characters. They have a pretty small tip (0.7 or 0.5mm) so you can do detailed work, but as long as the eraser is clean you can go back and correct small parts of what you’ve written. It also has the added benefit of being a cool party trick for kids who’ve never seen one. It’s a bit plasticky, but I quite like the grip and it’s quite easy to write with. I imagine it’s not so good for longer pieces of writing, but I love the way that you can correct small mistakes that would otherwise mean having to start a certificate or other document again.

• inkfumes says:

I like erasable pens, but they are not forgiving for left handed writing, smears and stains the hand.

14. HisNibs1 says:

Although I primarily use — and sell — fountain pens, the Parker Jotter has always been my ‘go-to’ ballpoint. It’s a classic design!