I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

17 Responses to “Woman smacks cop so she can go to jail and quit smoking”

1. soundhound says:

Did it work?

2. tamgoddess says:

I’m just—sigh

3. SedanChair says:

Well, it’s hard to smoke after you’ve been murdered by police…

4. bingobangoboy says:

Yeah, not the best plan as it is, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for anyone who isn’t a white female.

5. FuzzyWuzzWuzABear says:

That’s got to be just about *the* dumbest way to quit smoking. Now she’ll have a felony charge following her for the rest of her life, but, hey at least she kicked that nasty habit, right? Sheesh.

Though, given that train of thought, it wouldn’t be any surprise to find that she has underlying mental issues.

6. anansi133 says:

At that point, she’d have been better off calling Quitters Inc.

7. PhantomPeanut says:

Or she could have just done what I’m doing, Lozenges. It’s been working thus far quite well. Much better than patches or gums or whatever else. It’s like a slightly shittier Sucrettes.

Think this shows a severe disconnect with rational thought, mental issues. Only an insane person would hit a cop, get time in a shitty place, and rack up fines when one could blow like $35 for Lozenges that work pretty good.

8. rattypilgrim says:

She’s obviously mentally ill. That said, the cop claimed he’d never been assaulted like that. In today’s world of military style police forces the cops are the ones who are heavily into assaulting innocent bystanders.

9. Mitch_M says:

When someone asked me how cigarette smoking made me feel the best answer was “It makes you feel nervous when you’re not smoking.”

It was kind of reasonable for her to want to be locked up without access to cigarettes during the initial withdrawal. I often wished for that in the years I struggled to quit. Many quit attempts started with me emptying all ashtrays and taking out the garbage and ended with me going back in the dumpster to retrieve my cigarette butts to smoke until I could get to the store for more cigarettes.

Detox and rehab both involve confining people without access to the drug they are trying to get off. Why don’t we have rehab for cigarettes? It’s a serious addiction that kills people.

10. Chesterfield says:

Have you even asked a dentist about it? You would be surprised how kind a neighborhood dentist can be if you ask for help.

11. Milton Pope says:

But did it work? Because the city could pass an ordinance making it a misdemeanor to, say, pronounce “Mxyzptlk” backwards. That way she wouldn’t have to hit anybody. Also, it’s pretty safe. There’s only one guy who ever pronounced “Mxyzptlk” backwards by accident, and he lives somewhere else.