OXO adjustable measuring cup

15 Responses to “OXO adjustable measuring cup”

1. nixiebunny says:

Looks a lot like the Hewlett Packard microwave frequency meter…

2. Wreckrob8 says:

The only measure needed for peanut butter is the jar.

3. Leo says:

Wait a minute, this looks just like a Swedish-made penis enlarger pump. Not that I would know what one looks like…

• SwimmingTowardsPie says:

If your penis is big enough to even *partially* fill the girth of that thing, I don’t think you need an enlarger pump…

4. WitchHazel says:

I purchased a push style measuring cup similar to this a couple of years ago after Alton Brown told me to (yes, master…) and it is seriously The Best Measuring Cup ever. So great.

• sdmikev says:

I did as well, and generally I like the same stuff. but… I don’t use it at all.
      For flour, I weigh it, for sugar a scoop works ok, and for the most part I don’t measure a lotta peanut butter or Crisco.

5. EH says:

Stopped buying OXO when I got ripped off twice: the world’s worst paperclip holders and the world’s worst  refrigerator magnets. Pure trash, their award-winning days are behind them.

6. signalnine says:

There’s no reason one should ever have to use something like this. Get a kitchen scale, learn how to convert volume measurements to weight, problem solved.

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

The same thing that makes volume measurements inaccurate for cooking makes converting to weight inaccurate for cooking. For example how packed your flour is is going to effect how much weight is in a given volume. Or my peanut butter might be denser than your peanut butter. The conversion isn’t going to eliminate that inaccuracy. For that reason if you’re going to use a recipe based volume you’re better off sticking to measuring with volume. Something like this is far more accurate for measuring the volume of something sticky or viscous than the other options.

Beyond that outside of things like baking and curing; where there are strict chemical ,  safety, or technical concerns that contribute directly to a pass/fail situation; absolute accuracy is unnecessary. Its more important to understand the techniques at hand than it is to get exactly 13 milligrams of salt on your steak and then cook it for exactly 5.2 minutes.

• Paul Renault says:

Y’know for some things, inaccurate scales are far better than measuring cups.

For example: making bread.  If you measure your flour by weight rather than volume, you’ll have exactly the correct amount, every time.  I know, I’ve baked hundreds, if not thousands of loaves.

7. VotoMat says:

signalnine: I disagree. While I consider my kitchen scale indispensable, some things are more conveniently measured in a measuring cup. Converting volume to weight requires knowing the density, something you’re not always going to know offhand.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

It’s harder to scrape Crisco off the scale back into the can than to just fill the measuring cup and remove the excess in the same movement.

• turophile says:

Couldn’t you just weigh the Crisco can, and then keep removing some until you reach the required (negative) amount?

8. Paul Renault says:

Technique, technique, technique:
    The standard way to measure things like Crisco or butter by volume (say, when you’re baking) is to add volumes.

That is: if you need a half a cup of Crisco, fill your cup to the 1/2 cup mark with water, then spoon in your Crisco until you reach the 1 cup mark.  Pour out the water.  Ta-da!

9. Ive got one these I absolutely love.  Theyre great for things like peanut butter or mayo