How London cops use social media to spy on protest movements

11 Responses to “How London cops use social media to spy on protest movements”

1. G3 says:

What’s the UK definition of spying? Social media is public activity right? Isn’t this just good investigative technique?
    _____
    Edit, sorry, user error: Just as an add-on, I spent a day making fun of God’s neuroses yesterday, knowing full well that could come back to haunt me if my church was using Disqus to track me. But I took my chances. And I’m way more afraid of God’s army than I am of my government’s army.

• tré says:

It would be a good investigative technique if they were investigating crimes more serious than sign-holding or slogan-chanting. It’s not spying, and it’s not investigation, it’s surveillance.

2. Guest says:

3. jadezakozyl says:

мy clαѕѕмαтe’ѕ ѕιѕтer-ιɴ-lαw мαĸeѕ $89 нoυrly oɴ тнe lαpтop. ѕнe нαѕ вeeɴ oυт oғ α joв ғor 10 мoɴтнѕ вυт lαѕт мoɴтн нer pαy cнecĸ wαѕ $185З4 jυѕт worĸιɴɢ oɴ тнe lαpтop ғor α ғew нoυrѕ. reαd мore нere Zap2­2­.c­o&shym&shy

4. peregrinus says:

Yesterday the comms in London went haywire.  Facebook in particular was dysfunctional.  Coincided with the protests.

5. crenquis says:

What if Al Qaeda has entire secret code based on duck-lip selfies

6. Michael Hassall says:

I was suprised how slow social media was with yesterday’s incidents. Subvertive websites and message boards combined with personal text messages were minutes faster than twitter, 10-15 minutes faster than facebook. The EDL marches were common knowledge to me and most of my circle of friends a full hour before it was reported on the BBC or any major news site.

• NelC says:

An hour? Maybe I’m an old dinosaur, but that doesn’t sound terribly slow considering the editorial layer at the Beeb the info has to get through.

7. MatterEater says:

The Toronto Police and other jurisdictions monitor social media for protests, and for gang activity.