12 Responses to “"Just pretending you are using or playing your phone normally, BUT, taking pictures in 'redirect angles!'"”

1. davide405 says:

I can see this being used to avoid “annoying” police officers.

2. Ormond Otvos says:

Put your camera in your epaulet and fire with with bluetooth. Take that, NSA!

3. hugh crawford says:

Never mind the sneaky part, a waist level finder would so much more usable, but making the image upside down is not very usable.

If it came with an app to make it so that the image would not be upside down I’d buy it. If it had two mirrors so that the image would not be upside down I’d buy it.
    If it used an amici prism so that the image would not be upside down I’d buy it.

What idiot thought that holding a camera/phone at arms length at eye level was a good idea?  Not a photographer aparently

4. Portrait says:

Some photographer do really compelling shots of strangers but often achieve this through direct engagement. It can lead to confrontation and irritation by both parties. Furthermore the photographer does have the right to do this in public, so perhaps it is a good idea.

Unfortunately the primary use case for most people is probably creepshots :( rather than heartfelt pictures of the streets.

• OliveGreenapple says:

I often take pictures in public. I’m caught between wanting to ask first (making sure the person won’t get upset) and not wanting to ruin the moment. Recently a man stopped me to ask me a question. I wanted so badly to photograph him, but the nature of question and his strain to ask it suggested he had some kind of serious mental illness. I didn’t want to a) make that worse for him or b) make my picture exploitative somehow. At the same time, his expression, dress, and where he was sitting were all so perfect for a picture. I’m still torn in my mind about whether or not I should have just asked him if he minded (after all, I answered his question).

5. cog2803 says:

I understood that the guy who recorded the “47%” video of Mitt Romney used something similar . . .

6. They put the picture of the toy car on there because calling it an upskirt camera would be rude

7. Ray Perkins says:

Reminded me of this, from the past:
    Or those prism eyeglasses the pro pool players use.

8. DewiMorgan says:

When you’re in a crowd,  you can safely hold your arm out with a phone pointed directly at a cop, and not get arrested or pepper-sprayed except sometimes.

When you’re alone, not so much. I’m hardly an outrageous scofflaw… but even I have been in situations where I’ve been thinking “this would be really wise to get video of, in case it blows up”, but not been able to do so for fear of making the situation blow up.

Some cameras have swivel cams on. Seems like a good idea to me.