Best beginner telescope: Celestron FirstScope

19 Responses to “Best beginner telescope: Celestron FirstScope”

1. awesomerobot says:

Also, be sure to check out Craigslist in your area – a lot of people are just looking to get rid of old scopes that are just as valuable as they ever were. I picked up a 6″ Newtonian that simply needed a cleaning for $75.

2. Jacob Ewing says:

Sadly, they do not seem to want my Canadian money.

3. kiptw says:

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that a house in my subdivision has a little observatory behind it. Hm.

4. Bill_Kos says:

Ed Ting moderates expectations for beginners by suggesting they will not get a Call of Duty experience with astronomy.

• jerwin says:

Jupiter in scope: Achievement Unlocked!Asteroid 4 of 5 sighted:
      Asteroid 5 of 5 sighted: Objective Complete.
      You have new Mission Objectives.
      They’re called shooting stars for a reason! Get to Cover!

• RapidEye says:

Yeah, I used Ed’s website eons ago when picking out my fist scope.  Now I own an 18″ f/4.5 Obsession – once you get bit by that aperture fever, there is only one cure.

5. gtrjnky says:

How much for a dark sky?

6. Preston Sturges says:

I have a pair of those giant Celestron binoculars that were on a tripod that fell over and now they see double.  Where to get that repaired?

• Heartfruit says:

Try using the retailer locator on the Celestron site to find a retailer near you.  If the retailer doesn’t do repairs themselves, I’m sure they could recommend someone reputable.  It is my experience that people in telescope stores (like people in comic book stores) tend to love the product they sell.

Another solid option is to get in contact with a local astronomy club. They too would likely to be happy to recommend a place to get your optics repaired.

7. Heartfruit says:

We looked at this scope for my daughter but ended up with a sky-watcher heritage scope.  We haven’t been disappointed. http://www.kwtelescope.com/telescopes/beginner/sky-watcher-heritage-p130.html

8. highjumpman says:

I’m satisfied with Celestron. I have an old Astromaster refractor. It’s a beginners’ telescope but they makea t-adapter to fit cameras. I use my DSLR for astrophotography and can connect my Android tablet for a 10″ live display and camera control (here’s my write up: http://www.huegelmann.mobi/wp-dan/first-steps-in-astrophotography)

9. mikea says:

This is now $33.06 on Amazon.

I resisted the impulse and just added it to my Amazon wishlist.

10. RapidEye says:

Not even close – I’d take a 4.5″ Newt,, either the Skyquest or the Starblast, both by Orion over that Mak.  Both will show a LOT more detail and light grasp, cool down faster, and don’t have that shaky tripod.
    Oh, and both are cheaper too =-)

11. leandros says:

Make Money Online Without Any Investment

12. leandros says:

Make Money Online WithOut Any Investment http://www.workingonlineviainternet.blogspot.com

13. peregrinus says:

I’m looking to upgrade from the toy store version!  It was a joke gift, but my kids are fascinated.  I always was but never found time.  But checking out the great and infinite beyond is an immense pleasure!