Hollow spy-coins milled out of real currency

15 Responses to “Hollow spy-coins milled out of real currency”

1. Chris Baker says:

Awesome. Until I accidentally pass the SD card with all my secret information for a coffee.

2. laen says:

Isn’t this illegal? Destroying currency and all that.

3. Derek Jacoby says:

can confirm, they are totally cool. Had mine for a couple years now and still can’t find a real use for it, but it’s great fun to show off.

4. Narmitaj says:

A chap in the pub showed me one of these £1 coins once… he’s an amateur magician and they’re used in tricks: for instance, you can hide a 5p piece inside. I think he said they cost about £20.

5. srodman says:

Now you must watch this, showing the dangers of spy-coins. Also, it’s hilarious.

6. Christopher says:

Back in 2004 Canada minted a quarter with a colored poppy in the center. One of those coins caused a minor panic when it was found in the Pentagon, and believed to be some sort of spy device.

When I first heard that story I laughed. Now it doesn’t seem so funny anymore.

But are these hollowed-out coins any lighter? I know from experience that pound coins are noticeably heavy.

7. Preston Sturges says:

Vending machines would reject it for being the wrong weight. A couple years ago a machine refused to take my quarter.  Eventually I figured out that it was pre-1965 and had a higher silver content.

8. L_Mariachi says:

Hide your valuable thing that people might want to steal inside… a valuable thing that people might want to steal.

9. PrettyBoyTim says:

I wonder what it looks like under an xray machine? If you want to avoid the TSA taking a copy of your data at the border, could you come over with a pretty much blank laptop, and have the stuff you use on a bootable partition on a MicroSD card stored in one of those things?