Marc Laidlaw says:
Last week's stop motion thread reminded me of something I haven't seen on YouTube or anywhere else yet. Gulf-Western gas stations did a series of stop motion commercials in the early 70s, of people driving around without cars–they were just sitting on the ground, and animated to appear to be driving around towns. My best friend and I attempted to make our own versions of these with a handheld camera and no tripod.
I've been googling Gulf/ads/stop-motion/animation but not having much luck.
Can anyone help? Leave your message for Marc here: Link
Previously on Boing Boing:
• Excellent amateur stop motion video Link
• 1952 stop-motion short film for the National Film Board of Canada Link
• Early 70s Levi stop-motion commercial Link
• French university students have some fun with inexpensive stop motion. Link
• Stop-motion captures of body language on public transit Link
• Vintage Eastern European stop-motion animation clips Link