The family of Clair Weeks (Marc Davis' assistant on Bambi and Peter Pan) brought an amazing booklet to us at the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive for digitization. It's an illustrated "tryout book" from 1938, given to artists interested in applying to work for the Disney Studios.
It outlines the various job functions of the production process as they existed when Disney was at its creative peak. Those in the animation business will instantly spot the differences between then and now...
• STORY MEN must be able to draw. The stories are not written but are visualized in sketch form.
• THE DIRECTOR must have complete knowledge of every phase of animation, have executive ability and outstanding dramatic talent. He must be familiar with practically all of the Arts.
• All inking and painting of celluloids... is perfomed exclusively by a large staff of girls known as Inkers and Painters... This is the only department in the Disney Studio open to women artists.
This comment is amazingly far-sighted for 1938:
• TELEVISION, although in its infancy opens up a vast field of entertainment. Tests already made prove that of all subjects capable of projection, none can equal in clarity of transmission, the Disney Cartoons.
The book concludes with a drawn exercise the artist was supposed to complete and mail in to the studio for review. This is a real time capsule!
• U.S. intelligence briefed House on Russia to ensure Trump’s re-election. • Classified briefing to lawmakers made Trump angry • Trump said Democrats would “weaponize” news of Russian military campaign • Trump was mad DNI Joseph Maguire would let staff appear • That’s why Maguire’s out, Richard Grenell’s in as ‘acting’ DNI. In Washington last […]
Sure, this absolutely passes the corruption smell test. Everything is fine. Trump and his klepto-regime are (of course) supporting Oracle’s Larry Ellison in his Supreme Court fight with Google. The same day the same Larry Ellison hosted a massive fundraiser for Trump in California. From reporting by Malathi Nayak at Bloomberg News: The Trump administration […]
It may not rank up there with climate change or personal debt, but confess…isn’t it the worst when you’re trying to put a food container in the fridge, but can’t find the right lid to fit? Hey, not everything has to be a global crisis to be irritating to the core. But still…it’s even more […]
Assembling a truly autonomous smart home is getting closer and closer to reality every day. But for every new smart bulb, thermostat, home security system and appliance we set loose within our walls, there are still probably a half dozen “dumb” items we’d still love to replace. But whether they’re too costly or too big […]
With so many manufacturers out there these days, it’s tough to know who to trust in the ultra-competitive wireless earbuds market. If you’ve never heard of LinearFlux, you may soon. That’s because it’s a company with a stellar pedigree whose co-founders were two of the engineers behind the original success of two audio houses you […]