Image above: bloggers, artists, and pro-Tibet activists James Powderly, Tom Grant, Mike Liss, Jeremy Wells and John Watterberg arriving at LAX airport. They and others were held in jail in China for having participated in pro-Tibetan sovereignty demonstrations during the Olympics. More here. (via natdefreitas)
Below, Leaving Fear Behind (in Tibetan: ‘Jigdrel’), a truly incredible documentary film shot by Dhondup Wangchen and other ethnic Tibetans from inside Tibet, about bringing Tibetan voices to the Beijing Olympic Games. This really is an amazing piece of filmmaking. Wangchen was jailed by authorities in China for making this film. Snip:
With the global spotlight on China as it rises to host the XXIX Olympics, Tibetans wish to tell the world of their plight and their heartfelt grievances against Chinese rule. The footage was smuggled out of Tibet under extraordinary circumstances. The filmmakers were detained soon after sending their tapes out, and remain in detention today.
Previously on Boing Boing blog:
* UPDATE: US citizens detained in Beijing over Tibet protests are released, returning home.
* Beijing and Tibet: GRL's James Powderly, Brian of "Alive in Baghdad, 4 other US citizens receive 10-day jail sentence
* Beijing update: New detentions, 6 US protesters missing, Tibetan protesters in Tibet reportedly shot dead.
* Beijing: "Alive in Baghdad" videoblogger among US citizens detained in pro-Tibet protests
* Beijing: Five US activists detained after lighting up "Free Tibet" LED Throwies banner near Olympics site
* GRL's James Powderly detained in Beijing for planning pro-Tibet "L.A.S.E.R. Stencil" art protest
Related episodes of Boing Boing tv:
* BBtv (Beijing): interview with pro-Tibet videobloggers in hiding.
* BBtv WORLD (Tibet): Inside Lhasa
* Vlog (Xeni): Tibet report - monks forced to participate in staged videos.
* Vlog (Xeni): Tibet's uprising and the internet