Here's a fun motor you can make in a few minutes. You need a 1.5 Volt battery (AA or AAA), two safety pins, some tape, a small magnet, a foot of wire, some nail polish, and some Post-it Notes.
1. Tape the two safety pins to the battery as shown.
2. Wrap the wire into a coiled loop as shown. Strip the insulation off the ends of each wire so that the wire comes into contact with the safety pins.
3. Before you put the coiled loop of wire into the holes in the safety pins, apply a bit of nail polish to the top of both sides of the exposed wires. Leave the bottom of each wire unpainted. This will allow the wires to make an intermittent electrical circuit with the battery, which will make make it spin.
4. Use a pad of Post-It Notes to raise or lower the magnet so that it is as close as possible to the loop of wire without touching it.
5. Give it a spin and watch it go!
(I shot this video several years ago, and it was fun to hear my daughter's baby voice.)
As you may have noticed, a number of bird species have proven capable of mimicking snippets of sound they overhear, be it a melody, the wail of an ambulance or a dirty phrase taught to them by some drunk fella at a party. But here’s the thing: most mammals suck at it. Not so seals. […]
In the New York Times, Kenneth Chang reports that NASA’s Curiosity rover on Mars has detected high amounts of methane, a gas that is commonly a signature of life. From the NYT: “Given this surprising result, we’ve reorganized the weekend to run a follow-up experiment,” Ashwin R. Vasavada, the project scientist for the mission, wrote […]
As part of research on how to make better prosthetic legs, Vanderbilt University engineers put people on a treadmill and made them stumble. Over and over. By better understanding peoples’ stumble reflex, they hope to improve the computer-controlled stumble response in prosthetics. But to learn how people catch themselves, they had to trip them first. […]
Looking for a new tablet? If you haven’t upgraded in a while, it might be time to check out the latest iPad Pro for two very good reasons. First, the 2018 model is a real workhorse. The 12X Bionic chip processor means it can handle any task you set out for it, and still have […]
You want wireless earbuds to make an impact on your mood and workout, not the environment. If that’s the case, we’ve got a new contender for AirPod market share: Brio Phantom X7 True Wireless Earbuds. The features on these tiny, comfortable buds are impressive even without the environmental angle. Their Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity is good […]
We don’t ask for much out of our charging cables: Juice up our phone, do it fast and don’t break. It’s supposed to be simple, but keeping your phone plugged in for the night – as most of us do – can actually degrade the life of your battery by overheating it. That’s why one […]