A Republican Texas legislator has introduced a bill that would make the TSA's grope-and-fondle secondary search into a felony, and would also criminalize installing and using a pornoscanner:
HB 1937 includes the following:
(3) as part of a search performed to grant access to a publicly accessible building or form of transportation, intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:
(A) searches another person without probable cause to believe the person committed an offense; and
(B) touches the anus, sexual organ, or breasts of the other person, including touching through clothing, or touches the other person in a manner that would be offensive to a reasonable person.
(f) .... An offense under Subsection (a)(3) is a state jail felony.
The Tenth Amendment Center adds, "the Texas legislature stands on solid ground. Local governments control airports and no enumerated power in the Constitution gives the federal government the authority to regulate them. Under the Tenth Amendment, airport operation falls under state jurisdiction."
- Pornoscanner advisory flier - Boing Boing
- TSA head: We know nothing of Chertoff's pornoscanner conflict of ...
- Man at San Diego airport opts out of porno scanner and grope, told ...
- Molecular biologist on the dangers of pornoscanners - Boing Boing
- Pornoscanners trivially defeated by pancake-shaped explosives ...
- Pornoscanner CEO flew with Obama to India - Boing Boing
- NJ, ID legislators ready to ban airport pornoscanners - your help ...
- TSA has no regular testing system for its pornoscanners - Boing Boing