John Baichtal says: "MAKE's interview with hardware hacker Akiba highlighted a fascinating trend: individuals and small groups taking their safety into their own hands by creating, modifying, and networking radiation detectors, a.k.a. Geiger counters, rather than relying on governments for information. The following projects and kits aim to put Geiger counters in the hands of ordinary makers."
- Pocket Geiger Counter
- iGeiger: Geiger Counter with an iPhone interface
- Life with a 100 lb rodent that sounds like a Geiger counter when it's happy
- As Japan nuclear fears spread, so does crowdsourced radiation tracking
- XKCD's radiation dose chart
- Japan Nuclear Crisis: "Monirobo," the radiation-monitoring robot, arrives