California depends on melting snow for much of its water needs throughout the year. But there isn't much snowpack left, and it doesn't look like it'll be replenished soon. Here are more sobering findings from a report issued by the Risky Business Project:
- A “dramatic increase in extreme heat,” especially in the San Joaquin Valley that’s home to much of the state’s farming, and the Inland South area.
- The average number of days with temperatures higher than 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) may double or even triple by the end of the century, threatening one of the world’s richest agricultural regions.
- “By the end of this century, summers in California will likely be hotter than summers in Texas and Louisiana today.”
- Rising sea levels affecting the 840-mile (1,350-kilometer) California coast may also cause billions of dollars of losses to waterfront property and infrastructure.
- “By 2100, $19 billion in coastal property will likely be below sea level”
Yoshitaka Sakurada might not be Japan’s best pick for the cybersecurity portfolio: confused by a USB drive, he was forced to admit he’d never even used a computer.
The bad news is that, due to the sheer tininess of certain components, iPhones are particularly vulnerable to going haywire in the presence of helium. The good news is that helium just isn’t a problem you run into often. Sure enough, Apple’s user guide for the iPhone and Apple watch admits this is a problem: […]
A single smut-addicted official at the US Geological Survey led to an IT crisis there, according to an official report, with visits to more than 9000 porny URLs resulting in a malware infestation. The recommendations? Filter the web, and plug those damned USB ports. Correction: More than 9000 sites, not 9000 infections.
Ever wondered what it takes to make the transition from amateur photography to a full career? If you answered “a better camera,” you’re half right. Before you get the equipment, get the know-how to use it with the Hollywood Art Institute Photography Course & Certification. Taught by experienced pros, this course is geared towards shutterbugs […]
Anyone can learn piano, but don’t tell that to the bored kids who had to endure hours of “Chopsticks” and similar drills in their music lessons. Today, there’s a better way. Pianoforall lets you jump right in to discover what makes music fun, leaving you eager to learn more. In a simple but innovative approach, […]
There are two times you never want to just “eyeball” it: Conducting brain surgery and matching shades of paint for your walls. Whether you’re painting or repainting, make sure you’re never just “close enough” to the color you want. Not when the Nix Mini Color Sensor can scan and match any color perfectly. Small enough […]