An epic thread at r/AskReddit invites mechanics to describe the dumbest things people do to their cars.
As you can imagine, there is some pretty stiff competition. Here's a quick tl;dr of the 7000-comment thread.
1. Neglect to check the air pressure of the spare tire. — Back2Bach
2. Neglecting regular car washes in the winter cuts the life of your car in half. - gauget
3. Don't "literally top off" your oil. - Fingerbangbandit
4. Use "placebo bullshit devices [such as] magnets on the fuel line to "align" the gas [and] strange metal fins in the filter housing to spin the air. - rdesktop7
5. Add decals or badges from fast cars that are not even from the same manufacturer - various. (cf. leave dealership stickers on their cars - Kranenborg )
6. Ride on bald tires. - Ravenwald (who has other good ones, too).
7. "Put that loud fucking exhaust on their car and think they have the fastest car on the block. Bitch your shit sounds like a lawnmower" - BattlingMink28
8. Any modification that costs more than the vehicle is worth - huhaskldasdpo.
9. Do nothing when the check engine light comes on. - indymash.
10. "Pretty much every aftermarket part" — Sneeze_wee, who claims to work in auto insurance and has more.
Guilty of #2. Guilty of #8, too, but that's just because the rubber cement used to glue a window seal back on is worth more than a '99 Nissan Sentra.
During the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel’s crew manages a sub-2 second pitstop. (via Next Draft)
The UK’s housing crisis is much like the one in certain American cities — nimbyism, runaway housing prices, political paralysis — but with a British flavor of madness that allows for deeply unpleasant solutions. The local delicacy: car-dependent exurban developments made of uncanny cookie-cutter housing clusters in the middle of nowhere, with no shops, pubs, […]
Can you explain what happened in this accident caught on video surveillance in Atlanta? WSB-TV explains: a driver in northwest Atlanta drive off Marietta Street and speed through a parking lot before crashing onto the roof of a chiropractic office. A second video shows the car falling off the roof and onto a driveway below. […]
Ever wondered what it takes to make the transition from amateur photography to a full career? If you answered “a better camera,” you’re half right. Before you get the equipment, get the know-how to use it with the Hollywood Art Institute Photography Course & Certification. Taught by experienced pros, this course is geared towards shutterbugs […]
Anyone can learn piano, but don’t tell that to the bored kids who had to endure hours of “Chopsticks” and similar drills in their music lessons. Today, there’s a better way. Pianoforall lets you jump right in to discover what makes music fun, leaving you eager to learn more. In a simple but innovative approach, […]
There are two times you never want to just “eyeball” it: Conducting brain surgery and matching shades of paint for your walls. Whether you’re painting or repainting, make sure you’re never just “close enough” to the color you want. Not when the Nix Mini Color Sensor can scan and match any color perfectly. Small enough […]