An epic thread at r/AskReddit invites mechanics to describe the dumbest things people do to their cars.
As you can imagine, there is some pretty stiff competition. Here's a quick tl;dr of the 7000-comment thread.
1. Neglect to check the air pressure of the spare tire. — Back2Bach
2. Neglecting regular car washes in the winter cuts the life of your car in half. - gauget
3. Don't "literally top off" your oil. - Fingerbangbandit
4. Use "placebo bullshit devices [such as] magnets on the fuel line to "align" the gas [and] strange metal fins in the filter housing to spin the air. - rdesktop7
5. Add decals or badges from fast cars that are not even from the same manufacturer - various. (cf. leave dealership stickers on their cars - Kranenborg )
6. Ride on bald tires. - Ravenwald (who has other good ones, too).
7. "Put that loud fucking exhaust on their car and think they have the fastest car on the block. Bitch your shit sounds like a lawnmower" - BattlingMink28
8. Any modification that costs more than the vehicle is worth - huhaskldasdpo.
9. Do nothing when the check engine light comes on. - indymash.
10. "Pretty much every aftermarket part" — Sneeze_wee, who claims to work in auto insurance and has more.
Guilty of #2. Guilty of #8, too, but that's just because the rubber cement used to glue a window seal back on is worth more than a '99 Nissan Sentra.
At first I was disappointed that the Mystery Machine and Knight 2000 weren’t invited but then I realized they were probably on a separate TV star car field trip. All of these iconic autos and many more are available for rental from Movie Cars Central in France. (via r/pics)
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) posted this video of a batshit driver near Canal Winchester, Ohio. Amazingly, there were no collisions. “Don’t be that driver,” says ODOT.
Well, this should soften Elon Musk’s opinions about journalism: According to Engadget, Musk’s electric car-making baby, Tesla Motors, has had to return almost one quarter of the pre-order money it received from its American customers for the company’s delayed Tesla Model 3. From Engadget: Tesla raked in hundreds of thousands of pre-orders for its Model […]
While it’s fun to watch Hollywood action heroes hack into cameras to spy on their targets, the thought of an actual cybercriminal using our own security devices against us is chilling for most. That’s what makes the iPM World HD 360 Degree 1080p Wireless IP Camera essential for anyone looking to deter digital and physical intruders […]
Spring came and went, but we’re not here to judge if you didn’t get around to cleaning up your living space. After all, taking the time to vacuum your floors can stretch out into a lengthy task when you’re constantly switching between power outlets and trying to jam your machine into those tight corners. With […]
Projects big and small always go smoother when the whole team is collaborating, but members tend to get lost once the conference call ends. Timelinr is a project management solution that helps keep your stakeholders, team, and clients in the loop with high-level project roadmaps and granular task boards. Subscriptions are available today for $49.99. […]