Facebook released a statement regarding ProPublica's expose of the company offering antisemitic ad targeting options (previously).
On the record statement by Rob Leathern, product management director at Facebook:
“We don't allow hate speech on Facebook. Our community standards strictly prohibit attacking people based on their protected characteristics, including religion, and we prohibit advertisers from discriminating against people based on religion and other attributes. However, there are times where content is surfaced on our platform that violates our standards. In this case, we've removed the associated targeting fields in question. We know we have more work to do, so we're also building new guardrails in our product and review processes to prevent other issues like this from happening in the future.”
Points on Background:
• Some businesses choose to target people who self-report their education or employer (i.e. an alumni association promoting events to former students).
• We noticed that some self-reported education and employer fields that violate our community standards were made available in our ads interface.
• We have removed the fields of study in question, and are implementing new measures to keep offensive self-reported profile traits from being used in campaigns.
• We’re considering things like limiting the total number of fields available or adding more reviews of fields before they show up in ads creation.
• It's also worth noting that given the incredibly small size of these audiences, we don't believe the purposeful inclusion of these groups in ad campaigns is at all common or widespread.
"On background" is journo-speak for "not to be directly quoted", but I didn't solicit the statement and didn't agree to any stipulations.
Gucci’s new $800 ‘Indy Full Turban’ was not a good idea.
I grew up in the UK and moved to the United States after college. Two decades on, it’s disarming to be reminded of UK celebrities who were wildly successful there but never made it in America. Sometimes forced efforts are made to make UK stars “happen” in the US — Anne Robinson and Piers Morgan […]
“Why are we just apprehending them (…) not lining them up and shooting them? We have to go back to Hitler days and put them all in a gas chamber.” • Remember that US-Mexico border white supremacist terrorist group that published videos of members detaining hundreds migrants at gunpoint, with the Border Patrol’s apparent tacit […]
Heads up: The clock is winding down on a free-entry contest to win not only one of the best smartphones on the market but a handy pair of earbuds. A simple sign-up is all you need to be eligible to win a 256 GB iPhone XS Max, along with AirPods. And while “free” is tough […]
Kudos to those of us who have chosen a less wasteful third option to “paper or plastic” at the supermarket or club stores. Tote bags are reusable, but they can be a pain to tote around. Here’s an upgrade to that planet-saving measure. The Club Cart Lotus Trolley Bag is that rare tote you’ll want […]
Looking for a career in IT, gaming or software development? In the ever-changing world of the internet, versatility is your biggest asset. In other words, mastering Java might not cut it in an interview if you don’t know C#. However, there’s a bundle that covers the essentials in most any language. The Legendary Learn to […]