Bruce Sterling's All Things Facebook is a massive linkdump of the latest-and-greatest reasons to delete Facebook (and possibly put Zuck and Sandberg on trial for crimes against humanity). This morning's post on Facebook's tracking of non-Facebook users on Android came from here.
* Facebook is the new crapware [Natasha Lomas/Techcrunch]: "Crapware is named crapware for a reason. Having paid to own hardware, why should people be forever saddled with unwanted software, stub or otherwise?"
* Technological Sovereignty, Vol. 2: " This book deals with its psychological, social, political, ecological and economic costs while it relates experiences to create Technological Sovereignty."
* What 284 Days Without Facebook Feels Like (Pure. F*cking. Joy) [Jonathan Greene/Uncalendared] "What I Miss About Facebook? Nothing. Even on the rare occasion when I saw an update that made me happy, that joy was continually outweighed by the deluge of trash sent my way."
* The fall of Facebook has only begun. [13D Research/Medium]: "The market is drastically underestimating the peril the company is in."
* Walt Mossberg, Veteran Technology Journalist, Quits Facebook [Daniel Victor/New York Times] "I am doing this — after being on Facebook for nearly 12 years — because my own values and the policies and actions of Facebook have diverged to the point where I’m no longer comfortable here."
There's so much more, though.
All Things Facebook [Bruce Sterling/Tumblr]
A year-long investigation of private Facebook hate groups by REVEAL finds close to 400 current and retired law enforcement officers are members, including officers from small towns as well as big cities — including NYPD.
In 2012, Facebook settled an FTC privacy investigation by promising a host of privacy protections (that they never delivered on); now, the FTC is probing Facebook's noncompliance and they've demanded that the company let them look at Zuck's email, which prompted the company's legal team to have a look therein, and they really didn't like […]
We knew it was a matter of time before someone tested Facebook’s claim they won’t remove so-called ‘deepfakes,’ aka convincingly real faked videos like that recently viral clip of Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, edited to appear ‘drunk’.
Who needs a holiday sale? Sometimes there’s no better time than the thick of summer to find deals. We should know – we’ve found ten deep discounts on some must-have items. Whether you’re searching for CBD edibles, exercise gear, chargers or other tech, take a look. But don’t look long – these prices aren’t likely […]
Heading abroad? Even if it’s just a short trip, there’s a lot to prepare for. Travel can be incredibly rewarding, but it can tricky to navigate different cultures and lodging arrangements – and even trickier to do it cheaply. Before you go shopping for suitcases, here’s our pick for a good first investment: The Ultimate […]
Fried foods are a weakness for many of us. There’s nothing quite like that extra crisp crackle on chicken, fries or onion rings. And for years, our arteries have been paying for the privilege. Lately, the air fryer has been a godsend for those who love the fried stuff but love their body too. If […]