Bruce Sterling's All Things Facebook is a massive linkdump of the latest-and-greatest reasons to delete Facebook (and possibly put Zuck and Sandberg on trial for crimes against humanity). This morning's post on Facebook's tracking of non-Facebook users on Android came from here.
* Facebook is the new crapware [Natasha Lomas/Techcrunch]: "Crapware is named crapware for a reason. Having paid to own hardware, why should people be forever saddled with unwanted software, stub or otherwise?"
* Technological Sovereignty, Vol. 2: " This book deals with its psychological, social, political, ecological and economic costs while it relates experiences to create Technological Sovereignty."
* What 284 Days Without Facebook Feels Like (Pure. F*cking. Joy) [Jonathan Greene/Uncalendared] "What I Miss About Facebook? Nothing. Even on the rare occasion when I saw an update that made me happy, that joy was continually outweighed by the deluge of trash sent my way."
* The fall of Facebook has only begun. [13D Research/Medium]: "The market is drastically underestimating the peril the company is in."
* Walt Mossberg, Veteran Technology Journalist, Quits Facebook [Daniel Victor/New York Times] "I am doing this — after being on Facebook for nearly 12 years — because my own values and the policies and actions of Facebook have diverged to the point where I’m no longer comfortable here."
There's so much more, though.
All Things Facebook [Bruce Sterling/Tumblr]
Anti-vaxxers know no shame, Facebook is willing to do anything for an ad dollar, water is wet. Science Alert: Facebook is aggressively being used by anti-vaccination advocates to target pregnant women with sponsored advertisements to spread false information and conspiracy theories as the US battles a climbing measles outbreak. A sponsored ad found by Quartz […]
If you're a disgruntled ex-Facebooker or someone who "made threatening statements" against the company, there's a chance its internal security force is tracking your location and activities, using Facebook's apps and other tracking tools.
Facebook is expected to be slapped with the largest fine the FCC has ever imposed on a tech company, but the exact dollar amount is yet to be determined.
What do Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google all have in common? Somewhere in their framework, they all use MySQL, that most versatile (and free!) of database management systems. And they’re not alone. If your company or the one you’d like to work for wrangles data (and who doesn’t?), they’re going to need someone with a […]
There’s a reason you’re hearing about the gig economy in every other business story these days. More than ever, people are finding income from more than one source. And if you find the right one, a side hustle can do more than just pad your pockets – it can allow you to finally get paid […]
High-def cameras are available to anyone and for much less than they were just a decade ago. Even the phones in our pockets can be used to shoot and edit short films. It’s never been easier to be a filmmaker, providing you have the technique. Enter the Film & Cinematography Mastery Bundle, an online boot […]