1905 novel about 2015 New York

7 Responses to “1905 novel about 2015 New York”

1. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

JimH, the joke is that Patrick’s office is in the Flatiron.

2. jimh says:

That’s what I thought, it seemed as if he was winking. That’s why I laughed, even though I didn’t know how familiar he was with the structure!

3. Patrick Nielsen Hayden says:

4. twhid says:

And the NYT review of course:

NIGHTMARE PROPHECY; Van Tassell Sutphen’s New and Thrilling Story of New York After the Deluge.

Mr. VAN TASSELL SUTPHEN in his new romance “The Doomsman” (Harpers) assumes the role of prophet. According to Mr. Sutphen the state of civilization in the country about New York in the year 2015 will resemble very closely that of England in the early days of the Saxon settlement.

I love the internet!

5. Greg Weeks says:

This is going through Distributed Proofing right now on it’s way into PG.

I suspect manybooks got it from there before it was been proofed.

Greg Weeks

6. togetherless says:

I think the forward-minded denizens of NYC would willingly submit to the erection of such an obelisk despite its overt phallicism. Wait, do you mean that it looks like a giant penis complete with urethra?

7. jimh says:

“Of course, the building on the cover is what marks it as a fable of the most fantastic sort. Neither now nor in some hypothesized futurity would the natives of New-York erect such an improbable edifice.”

I hope that’s a joke, because I laughed! It is the Flatiron building, obviously. Since it was built in 1902, it was certainly modern at the time.