Anti-robot op-ed from 1932

11 Responses to “Anti-robot op-ed from 1932”

1. Electricdisk says:

Yeah, robots in that era were constantly written about (in negatitve fashion) by early sci-fi writers. Some of their stories are classics where their creator is outwitted by their creation (ala Frankenstein – not a robot). But I did find some of these anti-robotic stories and posted them to the web. I’m still looking in my archives for more. If you know of any more, I’d like to hear about them Robot Stories

2. steveportigal says:

“Robit”

3. erissian says:

The obvious solution is to make haunted robots.

4. Rob O. says:

Hey, Ruston! I grew up near there! Home of (in my opinion) two of Louisiana’s most interesting universities–Louisiana Tech, which focuses a lot on technology and engineering, and Grambling, probably the state’s largest traditionally black college.

Don’t know if that has any bearing on that, but yeah. It’s not quite the backwoods kind of Louisiana that you see in the Jena 6 case, actually–Ruston is actually kind of upscale.

5. agnot says:

It’s a nice little blurb for a daily–probing beliefs and fears with the juxtaposition of soullessness and disembodiment.

It has a Shakespearian way of speaking pertinently to the present issue from a dated viewpoint.

The journalist must have been a creative writer too.

6. Crash says:

This article would be alarming, but fortunately we live in a world where one may protect oneself with robot insurance… for when the metal ones decide to come for you.

7. Shrdlu says:

A writer in the Deep South writing in 1932, a time of great political unrest. Does no one see the metaphor?

8. Tom says:

Walking by a guy chipping ice off the sidewalk with a spade, I formulated the following law: “Robots will take over when the total mass of all the machines required to do the various menial jobs we now pay humans to do drops below the mass of the typical menial-job-doing human.”

So it’s now a race between miniaturization and obesity.

9. Halloween Jack says:

Nice essay, considering that a meatbag wrote it.

…what?

10. noelleisfine says:

i used to work at the daily leader! we still did paste up in 2002.

11. Simon Greenwood says:

I can hear this being read in the voice of T. Herman Zweibel of the Onion (wheezy, thin, as if coming from a valve radio. Possibly built into a hat).