Wax cylinder xmas music MP3s

9 Responses to “Wax cylinder xmas music MP3s”

1. Robotech_Master says:

I don’t suppose, he said lazily, someone could compile all those mp3s into a zip file so I don’t have to right click and save so many times? :)

2. Patrick McNamara says:

You should get the recordings onto Archive.org.

3. sabik says:

#1 – wget? Or some other automatic website downloader?

4. franko says:

someone in the comments posted a link to a .zip file he compiled of the complete set:

5. Tommy says:

Franko, you rock. Thanks.

But now my wife is really gonna kill me. I’ve been playing digitized vinyl the past couple weeks and she’s already annoyed at the sound quality. What’s she gonna say about wax cylinders?

6. jacord says:

I just downloaded the .zip file, it seems most if not all of the MP3s from collectionscanada.ca are truncated (something like 1/5 of the songs). That site is painfully slow at the moment.

What’s she gonna say about wax cylinders?

She’ll brain you with a candy cane in all likelihood.

7. Sean Blueart says:

CORY,

I’d like to kindly challenge your editorial use of the phrase “dead recording medium.” If it’s still in use, no matter how slightly, is it truly dead?

sincerely – Sean Culver, artist, daguerreotypist

8. The Unusual Suspect says:

(Waiting for the RIAA to sue everybody for making .mp3s of wax cylinder recordings without getting explicit approval from Thomas Edison first.)

9. Bat Guano says:

The Eddie Cantor is a great track, but it definitely ain’t from a wax cylinder. Sound is too clean, and Depression era lyrics and references to the brewing European war put it around 1938. Cylinders then were as cassettes are to now. (I was going to say 8-tracks, but I doubt people had any sort of kitschy affection to cylinders at that time.)