Giant comic collection donated to U of Minnesota

23 Responses to “Giant comic collection donated to U of Minnesota”

1. asev says:

That’s awesome. There’s something similar at Reed College and I spend hours each weekend just reading comic books there. It’s called the MLLL and it has a pretty respectable collection of comic books. Though, I don’t think anyone actually knows how many there are.

It’s open to all students all the time to read as they please. The conditions aren’t nearly as controlled as the ones above (though all of the complete runs have been bound in book volumes to keep down the wear and tear) and the collection is probably only a fraction of that donation. In any case, it’s not -quite- a library (nothing is allowed to leave the room), but I’m rather thankful to have it.

It’d be awesome if more places started doing this.

2. cinemajay says:

Sweeeeeet! We live in the Twin Cities–a trip to the U library is definately in order!

3. arkizzle says:

Whats not impressive about complete runs of comics? Especially ones Corey may actually like.

Maybe he wasn’t using this post as a pissing contest.

4. BrotherPower says:

IMHO, it’s not the tender age of Watchmen that makes it a weird exemplar for the bitchin’-ness of the donation, it’s the fact that a “complete run” of Watchmen is only TWELVE issues. Wow. Complete run of Action Comics, or Detective Comics? Yeah, that’s something to brag about.

5. shortfatsteve says:

Not to mention that both Watchmen and Sandman are available in collected form at pretty much every library that carries comics. But, just to be clear, I wasn’t trying to “piss” on anyone Arkizzle, I was just joking around. (And it’s “Cory” without the “e”)

6. arkizzle says:

I didn’t mean you were pissing “on” Cory (sans ‘e’ thankyouverymuch), I was referring to the notion of “who can piss the highest’.. its a funny idiom I know, I probably could have been clearer.

I just thought the implication that Cory was trying to sound impressive may have been unfounded, and said he may have been talking from a standpoint of what-he-found-interesting rather than what uber comix nrdzz may salivate over.

I do take the point about a complete Watchmen series being not very rare though, I took a look and they go on ebay for less than $50.

7. License Farm says:

It’s still a library; it’s just not a lending library.

8. shortfatsteve says:

I hear you, Arkizzle, but please note that it wasn’t even Cory who I was talking about. If you read the post you’ll see it was a guy named Phil. (I’m sure Cory knows enough about comics and collecting to sound impressive if he wants to.)

9. rabican says:

MSU is another school with a truly excellent comics collection. I was hoping to see Wonder Woman #1 while I was there on a tour, but alas, it was on loan.

10. rabican says:

Oops, sorry, that would be Michigan State University, just to clarify.

11. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

It wouldn’t be comics if there weren’t a couple of guys having a pissing contest.

12. Stefan Hayden says:

I’ve been trying to donate my comic book collection to a library or some other institution for a while now and have yet to find any takers. It’s only 500 or so books but does any one have and good ideas of places that would want to add to their current collection?

13. arkizzle says:

#10

That makes a bit more sense, though Phil might like Watchmen an awful lot too :)

Thanks for the clarification.

14. BrotherPower says:

@#11

A friend of mine donated his to a children’s hospital, after he assured them he’d removed all the “mature readers” titles. If you care about preserving their condition or value, this isn’t the way to go, obviously. But if you want them to bring joy to someone’s life, you could scarcely do better, I think.

15. arkizzle says:

#13

I scanned that in the side bar as: “a friend of mine donated his children to a hospital”

bad eyes, brilliant image :)

16. Stefan Hayden says:

@13

thanks for the idea! I’ll call around and see if that will work.

17. noen says:

umm… which idea? If you’re donating your kids they’ll need to be in mint condition, no dog ears. Wrap ‘em up in bubble wrap and send them off!

18. arkizzle says:

#16
    Noen, as far as I know, they need a whole lot of paper work and pedigree certification these days too.

Remember those halcyon days when you could just turn up to a swap meet with just those kids from your collection that you didn’t really want anymore, and maybe come away with a something that’d go with the new terrain-scheme you’ve got going in the pedarium.

And they are not worth as much on the open market as they used to be either. For shame.

19. License Farm says:

This is getting close to Dylan Horrock’s idea from his graphic novel Hicksville of a comic-centric library, though his had the added magic realism touch of it containing the original art of all of the best unrealized or otherwise unavailable comics. His was housed in a lighthouse; I wonder how large a truly complete comic library would need to be.

20. noen says:

So does this make up for the home school creationist science fair we had?

21. arkizzle says:

#1
    Nope, to erase thattravesty, you may have to donate a collection of the same size, to every reader on BB whilst having them ALL (every issue) signed by both writer and artist, not to mention building each of us the prerequisite humidity-controlled storage facility and throwing in a nice fire & theft policy to boot..

That ought to cover the “broken motor” one.. the “people living with dinosaurs”? that’s gonna take some work.

22. Keith says:

Sweet! The library I work at is part of a group that shares duplicate issues with one another, so we may be getting some of their overlap.

23. shortfatsteve says:

Wow, entire runs of Watchmen and Sandman! Some of those came out almost 25 years ago! Gee, grandpa, did they really make comics back then? I love it when people who don’t know what they’re talking about try to sound impressive.

(Not to say that I’m not impressed – 40,000 comics is a hell of a donation and I’m sure there’s some good stuff there – I just had to laugh at the examples given.)