Minimalist end-table with smart bookspine saver

18 Responses to “Minimalist end-table with smart bookspine saver”

1. Takuan says:

excellent design. The thin sheet metal of the table surface has good flexibility, thereby allowing a proper bend-and-snap-back effect with the honed leading edge and guaranteeing a killing stroke to the main blood vessels of the neck. I also note the cunning layout of the other parts that neatly trap the head, with forehead firmly placed against the splitting wedge and under the table surface. The open plan ensures easy cleaning with a hose, as does the slick,polished finish. The thin corner points are a sweet little fillip by a caring designer.

All in all,an excellent choice for the somnolent in the semi-darkened bedroom.

2. Alys says:

Antinous, I’d buy two – one for each cat. But I wouldn’t be putting glasses of water on top, because if they start startling each other, that water’s not going to last very long…

3. Keith says:

That’s probably the worst thing to do to a book, ever. It strains the spine and can even separate it. What, bookmarks are too old fashioned now we need to use furniture to mark our place?

4. RJ says:

@#13
    Well, I know this site has a little something for everybody, so it’s hardly worth getting too upset over. But if it came to fisticuffs, I’d like to see them face my ARMY OF WAR-CLANKS! ARRR!

*ahem* I mean… if some people like this table, then it’s certainly none of my business.

5. dbsboy says:

does the book spine also serve as a… seating structure?

6. RJ says:

Minimalist furniture always appears lifeless and institutional. Why would you want to surround yourself in such dead, uninspired furniture? Why would you want to feel more like an inmate than a resident in your own home?

This table design is interesting, but I would never have such a clunky thing. The hard lines and angles are jarring, as opposed to the warm appearance and pleasing stability of traditional wooden furniture.

7. rawbear says:

Ahhhh! More people who refuse to “break in” book spines! When I took a speed reading class years ago, the first thing we learned was to crack the book open every 50 page or so BEFORE reading it, so it would stay flat on the reading surface for faster page turning and general comfort. Yes…my books look as they have been read…but shouldn’t they? My books lie flat! The triangular part sould be made squarish…as a shelf.

8. billy says:

good design means having sharp corners near where you sleep

9. Nivalsj says:

I like it. Where do I buy it?

There are so many posts here of great products that aren’t actually for sale. It gets disheartening sometimes.

10. nibornesnej says:

Oh how nice it is to see a website reading and responding to comments. I seen no mention of,dare I say it, s, s, steampunk!
    Yet lo..the minimalism appears today lol. Love it.

11. Antinous says:

Perhaps you and the anti-steampunk gang could step outside and settle this with fisticuffs. They’re crying out for more posts on minimalism.

12. Andreas says:

Looks really neat… but I think I’ll have to wait for the matching headboard that extends storage for those of us who have 4-5 books by the bed.

13. Talia says:

I would buy this in a heartbeat. I’m bad at remembering to use bookmarks and no doubt my book’s spines could all use a visit to the chiropractor.

14. fullerenedream says:

Good idea. I’d refine it by making the spine-saver smaller, and mounted to the vertical support like a weird shelf. That would leave floorspace at the bottom – a good place for a to-read pile, or to leave bare and uncluttered.

15. tdawg says:

check this one out… more adorable but less kind to your book spines.

16. Gemini Gypsy says:

I love the idea, but would like to see it in a natural wood (why not?). If that’s not possible, then maybe a delicious mirror chrome or black mirror surface with little chrome zen music balls hanging from the triangle–for teh kittehs or puppeh.

17. Antinous says:

Why don’t they mention the kitty hiding space underneath the spine saver? That’s the best part.