Boy Proof, a compassionate young adult novel about a weird, smart, angry girl

27 Responses to “Boy Proof, a compassionate young adult novel about a weird, smart, angry girl”

1. Pyros says:

Everyone strives to be intelligent, covets it, esteems it. It is something we feel we know what is, and we are free to discriminate against those who we feel possess it in lesser quantities. Most people feel that they are smarter than their fellows so it often serves as a basis for the legitimacy of our smugness and arrogance.

I submit, however, that we only think we know what intelligence is, and as a result have defined most of the people around us as stupid. This is tragic and could be considered to be one of the chief ills of Western Civilization.

For this reason I do not find the caricature of the angst ridden teenage girl, drawn to be “intelligent” to be particularly compelling.

It would be better, I think, for people to strive instead for wisdom, kindness, and compassion. In our Spartan, unforgiving, marshall world, this notion, however, is sure to suffer derision. After all, nothing assures wealth, status, and dominance more than “intelligence” in our society.

As far as I’m concerned, Egg can go to hell.

2. inboulder says:

“She is a perpetual half-rage, but never really sure why, and she can’t help but see the world as a hostile and foul place. ”

“She’s an overachieving loner”

I don’t think the author thought their cunning character development plan through all the way, either that or ‘overachieving’ doesn’t mean what Cory thinks it does?

3. Takuan says:

? I see no problem.

4. Jerril says:

#6: Inboulder, I’m confused. What do YOU think “overachieving” means?

Overachieving doesn’t have any emotional implications at all, at least up here in Canada.

5. nigelstwin says:

Yikes, folks.
    It’s YA. It’s designed for young adults. As a teacher, I think it sounds like a lot of my students (the ones I used to teach, at least) would dig a story like that.

I’m just sayin’.

6. boing_x says:

There is a feature about a young adult novel almost every day. I don’t understand. Is this a teen site now?

bb

7. Nekura20x6 says:

Is it just me, or does someone seem a little defensive about the YA genre?

8. Antinous says:

Is it just me, or does someone seem a little defensive about the YA genre?

Huh? Must be just you.

9. Bob Doles Communist Doppelganger says:

Jerril @6: Inboulder is probably confusing this word with the Flemish phrase “Overa achie ving”, which means “Warm, outgoing, and beloved by all”.

It’s a pretty common mistake, especially in Belgium.

10. jbang says:

INBOULDER: This describes alot of people I went to school with, and to an extent even myself… even though I stopped the overachieving about midway through college.

I don’t understand why the two descriptions are mutually exclusive, at least not in my experience with people and personalities?

11. Jeff says:

I’ll defend YAs if you want. Where should I start? My fav YA’s helped make me who I am. I can’t imagine growing up without the YA books I read. For one thing, they were some of the only “friends” I had at times.

12. coldspell says:

#1: perhaps Cory is a screenwriter for the new 90210 remake?

I read this book shortly after its debut, and it’s truly fantastic…I’m by no means a “teen” but I could relate to Egg’s life, which gives the novel an appealing universality.

14. Pyros says:

That bright orange shifty blur in the bottom of your candy-cane-striped shopping bad full of black sorrow is not going away, sister. I mean it.

15. Jeff says:

Boing X, are you being dense on purpose? No, it’s not a teen site, but many adults, myself included, can enjoy a YA novel from time to time. It’s very nice to feel those young things again, to remember what it’s like going through the agony of teenage identity crisis. The bad ol’days! But fun too. So read Little Brother and love it. Or read Dune, since Paul is a major character and he is a YA.

16. Sister Y says:

Those not wishing to fill unhappy young people’s minds with false hope of becoming happy might opt to give them Linda Barry’s excellent novel Cruddy instead.

17. inboulder says:

#7,8,9

I’m a little worried that I have to explain this obvious disconnect. This is so blatant an error I hope what Cory meant was ‘underachiever,’ at least I hope so.

wikipedia:
    “Overachievement is an educational label applied to students, who perform better than their peers when normalized for the instructor’s perceptions of background, intelligence or talent. The implicit presumption is that the “overachiever” is achieving superior results through excessive effort.

Does it make sense that someone who “is a perpetual half-rage, but never really sure why, and she can’t help but see the world as a hostile and foul place” also displays “superior results through excessive effort” as a student in school?

• Antinous says:

Sounds like many of our readers, including me.

18. anthony says:

Excessive effort isn’t the same thing as over achievement, anyway.

19. Bob Doles Communist Doppelganger says:

@12: Hey, you’re not Belgian!

In middle school, I took the school bus — got in a minor scuffle with the “kewl boyz” who “owned” the back seat — they asked me, “what are you? some kind of egghead or something?” I said “ya, I am!” From that day forward, I was (chant) Eggy! Probably helped I was a girl, but still, this is my *best* childhood acquaintance situation — at least nobody beat me up!
    Overachievement equates best to academic success — and is often easy and involuntary. It endears one to teachers and completely alienates peers — leading to more beatings — at least that’s my experience

21. inboulder says:

@#14

You’re a poorly thought out character with nonsensical traits designed to illicit emotional impact without delivering any real substance? Yeah, I’d buy that (but not the book in question).

22. rebdav says:

My wife and I both at public and secular prep schools felt very strong general pressure to find a boy/girl friend. Our society sends such mixed messages how can you expect anything but confusion and stress from high school kids.
    My wife and I have many friends who grew up in the very orthodox Jewish world and they are horrorified by the expected underage social/sexual interaction in American society.
    I was saved from the worst of the social pressure being a high school geek and thinking I had no chance I didnt try to play the girls, I played D&D, hacked, and went camping.

23. themindfantastic says:

Corey, let me guess, doing research on YA novels?

24. jmccw says:

thanks cory. my 14-yr smart weirdo daughter is having a tough time transitioning to a new high school. i have reserved this book for her at my public library.

25. zuzu says:

As intelligence goes up, happiness goes down. See, I made a graph. I make lots of graphs.

26. anthropomorphictoast says:

Oh crap, it’s my biography! D: