DMZ 5: The Hidden War, a war comic about non-combatants

9 Responses to “DMZ 5: The Hidden War, a war comic about non-combatants”

1. belgium says:

‘Decade Later’ is I think, my favourite issue of the series. This collection is fantastic.

2. Ari B. says:

I’m only up to volume 3, I’m falling behind…

3. Florence Wedding DJ says:

It’s a great series I highly recommend it.

4. Richard XXIII says:

Along the same lines, I heartily recommend Joe Sacco’s excellent Safe Area Goražde, his graphic novel depiction of his stay in Bosnia during the Balkan wars.

5. Vale says:

“Fight your war somewhere else” ??

They already do. That’s the real problem.

Haven’t noticed any kids getting blown apart in London or New York recently.

An excellent description for book 5. At first I was annoyed that it doesn’t advance the larger storyline at all, but after reading the six disparate stories it’s apparent that this volume says more than the first four combined.

You hone in on one thing that’s struck me about this series. It’s not about war or soldiers or lofty ideals of freedom or oppression. DMZ focuses on the part the media tends to ignore – the ones caught in the middle. The main character becomes a voice for those that the media otherwise ignores, whom do not otherwise *have* a voice.

Wood’s use of Manhattan as a DMZ is the epitome of a “middle” with the two armies amassed on either side, raining fire and destruction on those inbetween. Frankly, it’s also easier for me to relate to since the war zone is Manhattan, a place I’ve been to countless times and for which I have a good amount of affection.

Some of my favorite graphic novels are fun (Preacher), some are literature (Sandman), some paint fantastic worlds (Y: The Last Man, Watchmen) and some are so poignant and well-written that you can’t help but be engrossed and admire the artists (DMZ).

7. samaralectures says:

I love this series. Another great New York comic book series for grown-ups is Ex Machina.

8. sabeke says:

Ditto what Matt S wrote: thanks Cory. Your track record on books for me is such that I now just automatically buy whatever you plug!

9. Matt Staggs says:

Cory, I’ve got you to thank for turning me on to this incredible series. I just read volume 2, “Body of a Journalist,” this weekend. As soon as I get some more cash I’ll be buying all of the other volumes in the series.
    I don’t know if anyone else is in this same situation, but I can’t afford to keep up with monthly installments of my favorite comics. Too little time and money. Just easier to buy the graphic novels.