Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny

32 Responses to “Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny”

1. cassius chaerea says:

#12: Barack Obama is somewhat distantly related to Bush and to the English royal family.

So are about thirty million other Americans, if not more … if you have any New England colonial ancestry you’ll be related to Obama and Bush as tenth or so cousins. This is far less significant than it appears and the relationship includes many of us here. (I’d gladly disown cousin Georgie … )

2. spazzm says:

The six-degrees-of-separation thingy applies to familiarity as well. Particularly when it comes to royal families – they’re not exactly known for keeping it in their pants.

The whole thing boils down to two simple precepts:
    1. Politics is not about causes or ideals. It’s about alliances.
    2. Blood is thicker than water, when it comes to alliances.

3. Takuan says:

sugar coating like this doesn’t help

4. E0157H7 says:

“Power corrupts, but absolute power is brain- fryingly hallucinogenic.”
    With this sentence, I am sold. To anybody debating the accuracy of statements made in the excerpt: It’s a humor book, written as if by Caligula, about how he would be the best choice to run America. Think about it.

5. Antinous says:

I’m just happy that Cassius Chaerea is commenting in this thread.

6. AlphaGator 37F says:

Poignant, passionate (in a dictatorial sort of way), and certainly VERY funny. The time for a tyrant is now!

7. simplewonder says:

Money to get power, power to protect money perfectly sums up everything about this administration. After all, with all this fun new deregulation stuff, our government is working for banks, not us. literally.

Why don’t they just put that on their campaign posters? It would refreshingly honest.

8. Enochrewt says:

Wow, that’s funny> I’ll pick up a copy of this.

9. long-orange-arms says:

It’s worked, I will order this now, I enjoyed that very much

10. Lance Weber says:

Hilarious. I love me some satire. Added to the amazon list. Thanks!

11. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Anonymous@22: “Could we please, pretty please, stick to shorter versions for the RSS feeds?”

I don’t know how to set that up without making it really complicated.

12. cassius chaerea says:

In keeping with the Roman theme of this thread, a historical figure that Gates has strong resemblances to is Augustus Caesar: the kid that everyone underestimated at the start who bloodily rose to dominance and ended as the benevolent patron. Makes me wonder who Microsoft’s Tiberius will be (not Steve Ballmer, who is the Agrippa analogue).

13. jmetter says:

I just want a poster of the cover. Delicious.

14. Made in DNA says:

Poignant. Funny as hell. Frighteningly nail-on-the-head.

15. ariadneallan says:

This is funny (in a horrifying way) and reminds me fondly of the rants of an ex-boyfriend of mine, but I’m not sure about sitting through an entire book of this. To what purpose besides humor? (Don’t get be wrong, the humor is great). My point is that those who pick it up won’t learn anything from it and those who might would be too offended to do so.

16. anwaya says:

Every time I see ‘ad nauseum’, I feel a little nausea. It’s not a vomit museum, it’s ‘ad nauseam’, or until you want to hurl from dizziness.

17. jphilby says:

Phillip K. Dick was definitely onto something when he said we were still living in Rome.

18. spazzm says:

Minor nitpick: Bill Gates’ story is not an example of rags-to-riches in egalitarian America. He comes from a wealthy family of bankers and lawyers. He went to top schools from the very beginning.

That doesn’t diminish his accomplishments, but it invalidates him as an example of ‘hard work will get you anywhere, no matter how lowly you start’.

19. adonai says:

Win. I want this book now. I think it will go on my next lot of Amazon orders.

Once again Cory’s free ebook theory works!

20. Nasty says:

Hope the book has pictures.

Actually, Gates (and Jobs for that matter) proves the imperialist leader point — both Gates and Jobs are charismatic salesmen-types (Gates’ overt nerdiness notwithstanding) with forceful and ruthless personalities. Both made friends with and manipulatively controlled (in probably the gentlest relationship of their entire lives) a “pet” engineer.

Allen and Woz are both sweet socially inept uber-techies who did all the programming of any significance in the relationship.

Don’t get me wrong — neither Microsoft nor Apple would have succeeded without *both* skillsets, as evidenced by the multitude of tech companies that have failed without effective marketeers.

Yes, it’s all about controlling the peons (at least in this economic structure)

22. JamesMason says:

If you go to Amazon, and look at Cintra Wilson’s book “A Massive Swelling”, the Amazon “Look Inside” arrow invites us into the mouth of a blow-up sex doll.

Despite the recent to-do with Violet Blue, I just thought this was something that Boing Boing readers needed to know.

23. Falcon_Seven says:

“Incredibly, a vast number of fine, earnest Americans still believe that America isn’t governed by a tiny, rotating, closed circuit of hereditary monarchies.”
    So what ‘royal’ families do Barack Obama or Sarah Palin belong to?

Could we please, pretty please, stick to shorter versions for the RSS feeds? I want a quick overview I can click on should I want more, which I thought was the whole point.

Cheers,

G

25. nanuq says:

The invective about George Prescott Bush has made me nervous. Given a choice between Caligula and another Bush in the White House and I’ll go with Ave Caesar every time.

26. Lilorfnannie says:

Barack Obama is somewhat distantly related to Bush and to the English royal family. See here for complete information on this whole bloodline dynasty thing, on all the major candidates (except it was written before Palin was nominated): http://www.watch.pair.com/dragon-lineage.html

This chapter is definitely spot-on. There’s way more truth in it than most people know. But similar to how the other person pointed out, there’s a lot of people I know I might recommend this book to but can’t because of the language, which is too bad. Not everyone believes that that kind of language has a place in their reading material you know- it used to be called a “dirty mouth” to say some things-

27. mackibble says:

I don’t think I’ll be reading the book. But let me know when the t-shirt comes out. Great visual!

28. cassius chaerea says:

#8: Gates wasn’t from just any family of rich bankers and lawyers.

His mother served on a charity board with the president of IBM in the 1970s, and that connection is how Gates got the DOS contract that made his fortune.

Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny is a powerful, funny, and scary satirical novel about the nature of politics. That’s funny.If I get a copy of the book I will definitely read it!

30. Razzbar says:

Gates’ family wouldn’t even be considered “rich” in Medina, where he grew up. Some of the very, very wealthiest families sent their kids to the public schools. Community counts for a lot.

It also helps to be in the right place with the right stuff at the right time. He’s where he is becauae of serendipity more than anything else.

31. tengu99 says:

Each does this in the hope that in the end, they will finally be able to embugger and impoverish everyone else in their conspiracy and ascend to the grand prize: achieving greater wealth and influence than everyone else, thereby protecting the enduring might of their brands/dynasties and their ability to drink the blood of peasants as simply as if they had pop-up sport-nipples.

heh heh, pop-up sport nipples.

sold!